New rifle and problem

Sounds about right for a factory Remington, unbox, fondle, send to gunsmith!

My twin Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs shot consistently sub .75 MOA without any gunsmith modifications.

But these were manufactured in the good old days from Remington (one in 1997 & one in 1998)

I added jewel triggers and skim bedded the actions and now they shoot consistently sub .25 MOA.

Sounds about right for a factory Remington, unbox, fondle, send to gunsmith!
I do that anyway... I never expect too much from any factory gun. I buy, unbox, work up a load, and if it doesn't shoot to my expectations, I take it off to the smith...

I've been really lucky, as almost all of my factory Remingtons have been shooters.

Game, I just worked up a 1/2 MOA load this weekend for my STW, using Berger 180 Hybrids and 7828 SSC pushing them just at 3,000 fps.

Blurry pic, but I took it with my phone through my spotting scope. They're 6" targets, and by my estimation, that's about 3/4" outside to outside, so C-to-C would be about 1/2". The one flier was thanks to a stray ray of sunlight that hit my scope at the exact same time I pulled the trigger, and made me pull the shot. So 4 out of 5 (should be 5 out of 5) were in the same hole. Not bad for an old rifle with a high round-count. :D

005BD6C2-D649-4292-B5E9-83A7B52703CE_zpsrl72pabm.jpg

I tried the I would like to have the barrel chambered by my gunsmith. Needless to say they dont have much of a sense of humor. I even asked nicely:D

It get to ride the big brown truck again back to remington. wow I should have just built a rifle off my montana 99 long action

I tried the I would like to have the barrel chambered by my gunsmith. Needless to say they dont have much of a sense of humor. I even asked nicely:D

It get to ride the big brown truck again back to remington. wow I should have just built a rifle off my montana 99 long action

Yeah, I should have warned you they might not think that to be too funny. LOL

On the bright-side, it's gonna get some treatment, and if it still doesn't shoot, you're out nothing more than a little wait time...You know?

ya the guy I was dealing with got kinda offended when I said I just want to make sure its right. I didnt say it with any authority or anything just normal conversation.
I have a feeling that this gun will see either a cbi or kreiger blank before to long

Dont feel too bad...Atleast you don't have a rifle with a MSRP of $2,200 fixing to have to ride the big brown truck back to Weatherby...

I've had my Accumark 257 Wby since late 2008, and only put maybe 250-300 rounds through it. It copper-fouls so badly that it started causing me concern. And since it was new, it has always had a couple of tight spots in the bore, and won't group under 1" with any ammo, including factory Weatherby ammo...

My smith is looking into it, and if he says that barrel is junk, it's going back to Weatherby for a new barrel.

Bushwackr,
If you havn't sent it yet let me save ya some time and heart-ach. I bought a new 5r mil-spec in 300wm. It would not even chamber a round, the chamber was never finished at Rem. My dealer called them to have them ship a new blank to him, no go.
I had to send the rifle to them when I got it back 3 weeks later, it would chamber a round but would do the exact same thing yours is doing now. I got six rounds through it, my gun smith was there at the time on the 6th shot the extractor broke. He just took it with him installed a new sako extractor put a custom polishing job on it, and now it feeds an ejects like glass. Just take it to a smith you trust and be done with it.

Dont feel too bad...Atleast you don't have a rifle with a MSRP of $2,200 fixing to have to ride the big brown truck back to Weatherby...

I've had my Accumark 257 Wby since late 2008, and only put maybe 250-300 rounds through it. It copper-fouls so badly that it started causing me concern. And since it was new, it has always had a couple of tight spots in the bore, and won't group under 1" with any ammo, including factory Weatherby ammo...

My smith is looking into it, and if he says that barrel is junk, it's going back to Weatherby for a new barrel.

Yep I think i'd go off the deep end. There shouldn't be any problem with a high end rifle like that. That a lot of bother for that kind of money

Bushwackr,
If you havn't sent it yet let me save ya some time and heart-ach. I bought a new 5r mil-spec in 300wm. It would not even chamber a round, the chamber was never finished at Rem. My dealer called them to have them ship a new blank to him, no go.
I had to send the rifle to them when I got it back 3 weeks later, it would chamber a round but would do the exact same thing yours is doing now. I got six rounds through it, my gun smith was there at the time on the 6th shot the extractor broke. He just took it with him installed a new sako extractor put a custom polishing job on it, and now it feeds an ejects like glass. Just take it to a smith you trust and be done with it.

I am very tempted but being as the rifle is brand new, I dont want to but I am goin to give them a chance to make it right. If it does anything but function I will prob loose my cool, just a touch . Just from talking with remington about this issue. They dont think much about there so called "cheap" rifles.

I have 3 issue with this rifle. first and most important I cant shoot it. second there is big ugly grinding marks that was done after the bolt was tefloned or whatever they use on them ,very ugly marks. Last thing is that the rifle barrel is not free floated ,none ,zero. The barrel makes 100 contact with the stock the entire length of the forend, and I quote from remingtons customer service. "We don't free float the barrels on the cheap rifles like the sps line". well either I am to cheap or they just suck because I just bought an out of the box savage 260 for the mrs that looks like it come from a custom shop for 550. It shoots amazing fit and function are spot on but If I spend $750 for a remington that looks like it was built someone that dont give a dam. I guess im just suppose to have to thank them for looking at my cheap rifle.

Last message was not directed at anyone just venting.
I'm not impressed anyone from remington on the site please relay the message to higher up. Not a real good way to keep customers tell them they are buying junk

Yep I think i'd go off the deep end. There shouldn't be any problem with a high end rifle like that. That a lot of bother for that kind of money
Yep... My thoughts exactly. I can build 2 rifles for what that one is worth... And both of the ones I could build would both be sub-1/2 MOA guns.

Last message was not directed at anyone just venting.
I'm not impressed anyone from remington on the site please relay the message to higher up. Not a real good way to keep customers tell them they are buying junk
That's why I buy cheap 700's to build off of. No expectations that way. If it shoots, good for it...But I'm still gonna snatch the barrel, stock and everything else on it to have it professionally worked like it should be from the factory (IMO), and better stuff put back on it. :D

Yep I should have just built a 7stw. It was my mistake thinking I would get any kinda of quality out of a factory remy. That why I see lots of homebrew with remy actions.

Yep I should have just built a 7stw. It was my mistake thinking I would get any kinda of quality out of a factory remy. That why I see lots of homebrew with remy actions.
A factory Remington barrel will either shoot, or it won't. It's a gamble. However, you can do certain things to factory barrels to help get the most of out them. For example...Hand-lapping. Smooths the tooling marks and rifling edges in the barrel for a smoother, slicker surface for the bullets to ride along, helping to improve accuracy, efficiency, and to reduce copper build-up from the jackets, that causes copper-fouling. Polishing the chamber will improve feeding and extracting of brass. Free-floating is another big one. Glass-bedding the action, and having the action trued, and the barrel threads and shoulder trued also will help. Also, re-crowning with a perfectly centered and cut target crown will help significantly. The factory Rem crowns absolutely suck. Alot of times, simply recrowning a barrel with a proper crown will help significantly improve accuracy.

All that should cost you about $200-300 from a smith, and after that, you will KNOW if it will or won't shoot. Might seem like a waste of time and money, but it could save you from spending that money, plus the $300-400 for a new barrel blank. You just never know.

Every factory barrel I have, my smith has done those steps, and my rifles are shooting 1/2", and sometimes better, groups @ 100 yards. 1/2" groups at 100 yards out of a factory Rem barrel is pretty impressive to me. Hell, my hunting rifle is really lightweight, and is a 26" sporter-barreled 7mm RemMag that he built me, with a fully-worked factory Rem barrel, and it's shooting 5/8" groups @ 100 yards... I'm very happy with it. I took it into the woods 2 days with me this January (Jan 31 is close of season), fired 2 shots, and dropped 2 deer. I have zero complaints.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.