New Reticles for the SWFA 3-9X42 SS and 10X42HD

Jon A

Having been around for a while now, these scopes are pretty well proven. About the only common "complaint" one hears about them is due to the plain-jane mildot reticles. SWFA has stepped up to the plate and given the scopes that one last improvement.

The 3-9:

PICT0353.JPG

PICT0356.JPG

PICT0357.JPG

As you guys have now all seen the Mil-Quad in the 5-20X50HD, the family resemblance should be obvious. The notable differences are the quads, or diamonds, are solid on this scope and the posts are twice as thick.

As a FFP scope that goes all the way down to 3X without illumination, the reticle needs some boldness to aid with speed down there and this reticle has it. I know a lot of people use these 3-9's for hunting and this reticle will be a big improvement for the thick woods on 3X. The best non-illuminated FFP Tactical reticle on 3X I had ever used in such situations up until this point was the IOR 3-18, but this reticle has is even better.

Then when you crank it to 9X you have the 1/2 Mil marks which make precise holds much more easy as well as the 0.2 Mil marks for ranging.

The end result is a reticle that's faster to use and easier to see on 3X, but also offers more precision on 9X.

Here are a couple pics comparing the standard mildot to the new reticle; these should be pretty self explanitory:

PICT0288.JPG

PICT0272.JPG

PICT0290.JPG

PICT0276.JPG

PICT0295.JPG

PICT0280.JPG

PICT0294.JPG

PICT0279.JPG

Since the 10X42HD never is cranked down to 3X, it had no need for the added thickness and boldness. The 10X42HD got a reticle identical to the 5-20X50HD. After writing this entire post I now realize I don't have any pics of it uploaded. I did take a few though not very many as it looks identical to the 5-20 turned to 10X. I'll try and find a few shortly but for now here are pics of the 5-20 on 10X, as I remember it it's nearly impossible to tell which pics came from which scope which is probably why I never bothered to upload them.

PICT0130.JPG

PICT0243.JPG

PICT0232.JPG

More to come....

PICT0016.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.