New range cheaper finders

E Wa Hunter

I am looking at buying a cheaper range finder to go out to at least 1000 yards. I know the G7 is the best out there, but what do people think about the Leopoldo RX 1000 with TBR? Any thoughts would be very helpful......

I am looking at buying a cheaper range finder to go out to at least 1000 yards.

Sorry, you can't use both those words in the same sentence.

As for my opinion of the Leupold Rf's. I say save your money until you can buy a real RF. The working units that will reach 1000 yards on a regular basis start with the Leica 1200 CRF-Y. You should be able to get a used one for around $425 shipped. Or step up to a new Leica 1600 CRF for $659. and you will be set and happy with your purchase.

There is tons of great info on about any unit you wish to read about on this site. Also lots of basic info on reliability and beam divergence of any unit. Just do a little search using the box in the upper right corner of this page.

Jeff

+1 on what Broz says. Don't waste your money on a leupy---there is a leica 1200 for sale in the optics section on this forum for $375. Great deal and a great rangefinder although it does not have any ballistic stuff on it but it is dependable AND its a leica.

Randy

+1 on what Broz says. Don't waste your money on a leupy---there is a leica 1200 for sale in the optics section on this forum for $375. Great deal and a great rangefinder although it does not have any ballistic stuff on it but it is dependable AND its a leica.

Randy

Agreed, That is a good deal but we should mention that is the older Leica 1200 before the CRF model. I have owned them and they are good units,especially for the price. I just don't feel they are as good as the newer CRF's.

Jeff

I have never used any of the Leica gear, how does it hold up in rain fog etc. Hunting and shooting in the northwest I could see all weather types in one day. In my experience Leopold has always held up well. Any thoughts on the Swarovski?

I have never used any of the Leica gear, how does it hold up in rain fog etc. Hunting and shooting in the northwest I could see all weather types in one day. In my experience Leopold has always held up well. Any thoughts on the Swarovski?

Search the Leica or Swarovski for tons of info and comparisons. As far as the Leica holding up, well we found one of the old flat models while on horse back last year. It was faded and the snow had just melted off of it to make it visible. I say it had been there two winters. We picked it up and it still was working.

Fog, rain and snow will hinder any RF's distance. The distance they will read will depend on the thickness of the precipitation. If the beam can not get htrough and return none of them will work. But I have found that a good unit will work to as far as I wish to shoot game in those conditions with limited visibility.

Jeff

I have two leica's, an older 1200 and the new 1600, the 1600 is the first rangefinder I've ever had that would reliably range further than the stated capability. In the clear mountain air out west I was able to go to 1700-1800 on a regular basis. Most others IME have usually been a stretch to get to the rated distance. The 1200 has been a very good unit and would range to 1100 or a bit better pretty well.

Sounds like the Leica is the way to go. Does it have TBR for ranging in the mountains? Broz have you used the G7 yet? From all your other posts you seem to be very active with your shooting and trying different products

Sounds like the Leica is the way to go. Does it have TBR for ranging in the mountains? Broz have you used the G7 yet? From all your other posts you seem to be very active with your shooting and trying different products

Sure have. Here is my review.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/my-field-test-g7-br2-rangefinder-97338/

This is a great unit for it's intended purpose and will work well for many LR hunters. The convenience is of the ballistic program is very nice. I only advise you watch the beam divergence and do not let it bite you as I talked about in the review. I think many of the G7 users have found out what I did and will agree with most my points by now.

Jeff

Thanks Broz, I have found many of your posts rather helpful over the last three years. Just starting out I have learned very much!

Just in case you aren't convinced yet. I have always been a leupold fan but for a fact their rangefinders are not in the same league as the swaro or leica. You will never regret saving for it, and buying the right one the first time. If you think your going to really get into this save for the 1600. My friends quickly outgrew the 1200 and for a loss sold them to upgrade to the 1600.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.