New Propellants

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Festus, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Festus

Festus Well-Known Member

Just spoke with Mike at Hodgdon and they are introducing some new powders that will be available early next year. Hodgdon Hybrid 100V looks to have a burning rate between H4350 and H4831. I would assume it is an "extreme" powder but I hung up before my wee brain could think to ask.

The other powder, due out in February, is Winchester Supreme 780. I asked if it was similar to the discontinued W785 and he said he hadn't compared the two so didn't know. It looks to me like it is.

I discovered these two powders while looking at data on their website for the .243 Win. with 100 gr. bullets. These powders may be listed in other applecations as well, I didn't check.

Festus

2. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

Ooooohh, a great burn rate for 115 grain 6mm bullets in a 6x47 lapua! Could be interesting. Thanks for the report!

3. brianwinzor

brianwinzor Well-Known Member

Festus, Thanks for the advice on H100V and Winchester 780 Supreme.

I believe that most of Hodgdon's extreme powders are made by ADI here in Oz, then rebadged by Hodgdon. I just checked the ADI website and there is no mention of a new powder with a burning rate between AR 2209 (H4350) and AR2213sc (H43831sc).

Winchester have made a habit of releasing a slow burning powder (780BR, 785, WMR, WXR) then ditching it about 3- 5 years later. So this time I may wait and see if the burning rate really suits my circumstances, as I still have ample supplies of 785, WMR, and WXR. Brian.