New Project

jwp475

I have on order 2 barrels from ABS one in .338 cal and one in .30 cal both to finish at 30" plus the brake and both are with a 9.2 twist. I hope to have delivery soon as I ordered them early this year and pre-paid.
I also ordered 1000 of Richards 325 grain .338 bullets and 500 of his 265 grain 30 cal bullets
I had originaly planned to use the 300 Ultra case for both, but may go with the 338 Laupa improved case (.338yogi)
any ideas or feed back will be greatly appreciated.

Hey Jon A how are the 265 grain Wildcats doing? What is your initial Impression?
Thanks

Well I thik that the improved Lapua case might offer little bit more capacity over the 300RUM case but I could be wrong the only benifit I can see is the better brass but $1.50 a case for sombody that just droped better than a grand on two barrels shoulden't be a problem.
The Lapua cases are very good and very tough compaired to everything else.
What action are you using? , that might make more of a differance in what case is used as the Laup needs a little bit bigger bolt face than the RUM cases , their have been plenty Lapua based guns built on Rem 700 though.

I have 2 Rem actions (Rifles) now one is in 338 RUM and the other in .300 RUM that I can use, but I am open to other options as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Jon A how are the 265 grain Wildcats doing? What is your initial Impression?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, the 265's I have are built on the longer jackets that are used to make the 290's and they're nearly as long. My initial impression is they needed faster than a 1:9 twist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I shot a few yesterday and they were severely keyholing.

Not to worry though, your 265's will be built on the shorter jackets and will finish much shorter than the ones I have now. I'll be getting some of these as well. I expect these ought to work at our twists. But I can't offer any impressions of them yet.

Your projects sound like they'll make you a couple of wonderful long range thumpers. I can't wait to see how they turn out. I'll let you know how the new 265's shoot when I get them.

JonA, thanks I appreciate your input on the 265 grainers. What kind of speeds are you able to obtain?

I have shot the yogi case with good resalts 300g SMK at 3050 form a 34" 10t lilja. Shot a couple deer with it 950 yards and 1225 yards and a lot of crows longest was 950 yards. I am curently shooting a 338 Nawakwa (338 lapua imp) in a 30" broughton 10t in a lighter rifle with good resalts one deer at 2042 yards 2 elk one at 650 ish and one at 10 yards all with 300g SMKs and a rock chuck at 1520 yards and a bunch of crows/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jwp475,
I like crow mag shoot a 338Lapua Mag Imp (338MOAG)I also shoot the 300grSMK at 3050fps. I would love to shoot the 325gr Wildcat you talk about or any 338cal Wildcat bullet, they dont exist. Berger is rumored to be making a 338 VLD bullet soon but for now the 300gr SMK is the only game in town.
UB

[ QUOTE ]
jwp475,
I like crow mag shoot a 338Lapua Mag Imp (338MOAG)I also shoot the 300grSMK at 3050fps. I would love to shoot the 325gr Wildcat you talk about or any 338cal Wildcat bullet, they dont exist. Berger is rumored to be making a 338 VLD bullet soon but for now the 300gr SMK is the only game in town.
UB

[/ QUOTE ]

Riichard of Wildcat bullets has a 338 die that he is happy with now and is again making 338 bullets. I bought 1,000 of the 325 grainers and they are in transit as I type.......

I haven't shot them yet, but I really like the looks of the new 265's:

265RBBTULD.jpg

From left to right: 200 AB, 210 SMK, 240 SMK, 265 Wildcat RBBT ULD, 300 SMK (338 cal).

That's the nicest nose profile and meplat I've seen yet. This bullet should easily best the 300 SMK for BC and yes, I would bet on that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'll wait for actual tests to put a number on it, but my WAAG is it won't even be close. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif So, it's on a different planet than the rest of the 30 cals we've had available up until now. That's the big thing. These are around 1.76" long so I'm pretty sure these are short enough to work from a 1:9. I'll know for sure soon enough.

Unfortunately it'll be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to shoot them. I'll let you all know how they do. If all goes well, I'll be ordering a bucketfull. Or two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Richard made a pile of them so there are plenty available.

As if you can't tell, I'm pretty excited about this bullet. I've been waiting for it for a looooonnnngggg time! Finally it's here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sorry John, I forgot. I figure I'll run these up to around 2800-2825 fps from the 26.7" 300 RUM. I figure that should be pretty easily attainable from this bullet with US869 without pushing things too far.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.