New Project advice please

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Precision_Game_85, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Precision_Game_85

Precision_Game_85 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone..I'm building my first AR-15 precision rifle for coyotes. I plan on pushing it out to about 500 yards "it's only a .223 after all and I believe in clean kills." I'm thinking of a Nightforce 2nd focal plane scope and wonder if this would be sufficient. My understanding is that at max power I can still use the reticle for a mil hold off for the wind call "I don't like dialing for wind since it always changes by the time I dial it." My only experience is with a friends ffp leupold. I'm trying to save up some cash since I want to build my first .308 in the fall/winter and I want to go all out and buy the first focal plane Nightforce with the Horus reticle "expensive." So I guess my question is do you think that the 2nd focal plane is alright for hold offs out to 500 with the AR. As always, thanks for all the help. You guys are great on here.

2. pyroducksx3

pyroducksx3 Well-Known Member

Thats a pretty big heavy scope for an ar-15, maybe others will disagree though, I think nikon as a scope made specifically for the 223 and that would be cheaper and more appropriate for your purpose. Also they have a computer ballistic program that will tell you what there circles are at the different variable magnifications.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

3. Precision_Game_85

I was actually speaking of one of the smaller nightforces such as the 2.5-10x32 2nd focal plane with .mil reticle and .mil turret. I prefer a nightforce if for anything else the quality of the glass. I wouldn't want a huge optic on an otherwise light platform either. Just clearing that up. Thanks for the input though it is appreciated.

4. pyroducksx3

pyroducksx3 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I forget they make other scopes also, I wish saving some cash meant a nightforce for me :p

5. Precision_Game_85

haha...no problem at all

6. SBruce

SBruce Well-Known Member

I've got a similar project gun, and have intentions of using it for relatively close range varmints and predators. Currently got a 6.5-20 on it for load development, but once that's done, I will be putting the 2.5-10X32 NF on it.

My scope is the NP-R2 (2moa spacing on vertical, 5 moa spacing on horizontal) with Zero Stop and 1/4 moa clicks.

FWIW, I think the scope in question is just the ticket for calling yotes with an AR type gun. 10X is great for coyotes out to 500 yds IMO.

Good Luck.

7. SLOAN

SLOAN Well-Known Member

If you want to kill yotes clean at 500yds,the 223 might want to shoot 75 gr hptbt from hornady.Enough bullet for a clean kill,just m2cents..

8. Precision_Game_85

Great to see that we'll be using the same thing. So to my understanding then is at 10 power with a 2nd focal plane the 1 mil on the reticle would equal 1 mill on my turrets? I just want to make sure that at full power I'm seeing true mil values. Thanks

9. Precision_Game_85

I'm still not sure about bullet selection since I'll be using it close to "if not in" the non leaded zone in california. That's going to greatly influence what I can use.

10. SBruce

SBruce Well-Known Member

Yes, correct. The reticle works as designed on 10X.

11. Precision_Game_85

Sounds great...thanks for the help...so which AR did you build? I'm a little limited on what I can do here in california...probably just going to get a california approved lower and build it myself...would be a lot more fun this way anyway...I'm thinking of building a stag model 6 or maybe a stag lower and a dpms heavy barrel 24inch upper.

12. Precision_Game_85

ohh..and what MOA base would you recommend from 0-500 yds? I don't have experience picking a base with a certain degree of MOA already built in.

13. Ian B

Ian B Well-Known Member

What kind of nonsense is a no leaded zone hahaha.
    God do I hate the politics in California.

14. Precision_Game_85

California Condor Zone...Tell me about it...Oh well...It's a great place except for the people who run it (I just try to ignore them as much as possible.)