New Powder Coming

Ian M

October, 2005

For Immediate Release

Attention magnum rifle users: Hodgdon Powder introduces US869™ powder!

Shawnee Mission Kansas, Hodgdon Powder Company leads the way again by developing an outstanding 50 BMG propellant that offers significant advantages in many magnum rifle applications! US869 is a true magnum Spherical rifle powder that is superb with heavy bullets in big, overbore rifle cartridges. US869 is a dense propellant that allows the shooter to use enough powder to create maximum velocities in cartridges such as the 7mm Remington Magnum, 300 Remington Ultra Magnum, 30-378 Weatherby Magnum and others. US869 is superior in the 50 Caliber BMG where it yields high velocity and great accuracy with 750 to 800 grain projectiles. This is a fine 1000-yard match propellant! In addition, US869 is effected minimally by varying temperatures, a key feature for top competition and hunting accuracy. Here are the results: Cartridge Bullet 70°F 125°F -40°F
50 Cal. 750 grains 2,719fps 2,709fps 2,722fps

Hodgdon's new US869 will be at dealers everywhere spring 2006.

Ian.
Cant wait, we in the UK will probably see the first trickles in 2007, just like the 2005 Remington rifles are starting to filter onto some dealers shelves and from what we've seen we are not impressed

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Would this new powder apply to a .300 Win.mag using 165-200 gr.bullets,or would it be to slow.I know this probably can't be answered-thanks anyway!
Jimmy

Ian,

OK, you have my full attention with this powder!!!

Any information on how it compares to standard powders as far as burn rate?? Such as H870 and WC872???

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty,
Just look at the number they are calling it - it might be considered the second coming of good old 870 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fifty,
i can't believe this caught your attention! why didn't they just call it US69? that would have been a catchy title.

Ian,

Kind of figured as much. If so it will not be quite as slow as WC872 but it will offer greatly superior temp stability over WC872.

I would go to a slightly quicker burning powder for the lack of temp sensitivity for sure.

If you get any more information please pass it on. Any idea on price yet per 8 lb kegs???

Kirby Allen(50)

Dave,

I don't get the US69 thing???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Must remember I am a pure little Montana boy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Ian,
where abouts in Sask. do you live.i've spent some time around meadow lake.

why do i get the feeling that the pure little montana has a hint of scarcasm in there.did u get your barrels yet? i've been breaking mine in this weekend. almost to the 10th shot.getting ready to do a ladder.

We live in Regina, which rhymes with... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Not much more to say about this place. I have done a lot of time up at Meadow Lake, mostly chasing bears for the gov't.

Ian,

I went on a bear hunt a little north of there a few years ago. The guide lives in Preeceville. His name is Willard Antonichuk. Helluva nice guy. Maybe you know him?

Willard and I go back a long way - he used to call me "Poacher" for some reason. One time we landed in a chopper in front of his cabin - needed a potty-break and some of his coffee. Stayed at his cabin a few times. He is still going strong I understand.

Dave,

Yes the 7mm barrels are starting to trickle in. Got one Nesika/McMillan A-5/Lilja 7mm AM finished and will be starting the next today. We are having some lovely 45 mph winds today so no range testing today!!!

I don't now what sarcasm is either by the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Kirby Allen(50)

The internet sure makes the world seem a bit smaller!!

My dad has been up there on 3 bear hunts w/Willard and Keith. He is thinking of going back this spring.

BTW, why "Poacher?"

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.