new or reuse

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by 1logan1, Sep 9, 2012.

1. 1logan1

1logan1 New Member

I've been looking at geting into longrange shooting and I'm on a budget. I have a VXlll 4.5x14x40 with out target turets, should i send it to leupold or buy knew? What would be a good buy on a budget. Alos I'm looking at not shooting any further than 700ish.

2. bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura Well-Known Member

If just long range shooting, rather than hunting, I would keep the scope and change the turrets. If long range hunting, I would go up to a 50 mm or more objective.

3. 1logan1

1logan1 New Member

Thanks for the input Bruce, I did forget to mention that this would be a hunting/longrange mountain rifle.

4. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

As posted....just change the turrets

5. bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura Well-Known Member

At dawn/dusk a 40 mm objective will limit you to about 8X or less magnification, as opposed to about 10X for 50 mm. A 40 mm objective is not a deal breaker, but the extra 20% can make a difference in dim light.

6. BlackKnight755

BlackKnight755 Well-Known Member

...Just as everyone else has posted, if the rifle is going to be a double duty rifle I would opt for the 50mm objective lense for the added amount of light. I understand that you are on a budget so I won't even mention the 56mm scopes... (read more money) but if you do opt for a new scope you can sell your old scope and add money to what you get to purchase a new one.