New Model Seven .243 Thoughts and loads?

Brent

My 12yr old daughter Ali has here first big game rifle now. She loves it, best B-day present ever she says. I went with the SS synthetic topped with a 3x9 Vari-XII. Out to the range later today to break in and check some 75gr A-maxs and 90gr Nosler BTs in the Remington factory stuff.

Anyone have one of these? Looking for a place to start with loads and powders so any suggestions? I've never loaded for this light of caliber before, anything to consider before starting?

I'll get her up to 300 yards on the bench and get her hooked before too long. She loves her shootin time with dad.

I had a Model 7 SS in .260 Rem that I just sold due to lack of use
frown.gif
I've been loading for an older 700 in .243 for the oldest stepson. I'm probably not going to bother w/ deer class loads, as he's decided to be a bowhunter like his dad. He does use it for the occasional attempt at rockchucks and coyotes, though, and I cooked up a good load using 49.0 gr H414 and a Sierra 55gr BlitzKing. Yee-owza! Shoots little sub-half inch clover leafs. The gun is only a little heavier than the current Model 7's so it may work OK for you.

HTH,

Monte

That's a sweet little gun for her. My son had wonderful success with his model 7 .243 ( 8 deer with one shot kills). I loaded 45 grains of IMR 4350 with a Nosler 85 grain Partition running around 3200 fps. Most of the deer dropped in their tracks like a lightening bolt hit them. I will admit that the partitions have never grouped as well as the Ballistic Tips for me though. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.