new mini 14

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by roughneck, Jul 8, 2009.

1. roughneck

roughneck Well-Known Member

The 580 and 581 series mini 14 tactical rifles have come a long way...

I got a 5 shot .699 group with rounds 11-15 of factory hornady tap. Groups are hanging around 1 inch with federal match loads.... and im shooting my first batch of handloads saturday.

Anyone else have one yet? Though long overdue, Ruger has finally fixed the problem.... i think.

Anyone have muzzle velocities with 69 or 75 gr. bullets with the 16" barrel?
    Let me know.

TEX

2. kerstingm

kerstingm Member

I have a Target model Mini 14 with a Konus 4.5 - 16 x 40mm scope. All I have been able to do is site it in at indoor range at 25 yards. I recently joined a range with a 400 yard range. I will let you know how it does. From what I seen on line the Target model was shooting good groups at 300 yards with no problem.

3. ebd10

ebd10 Well-Known Member

Either they have made som radical improvements on the Mini-14 or you made a typo regarding the placement of a decimal point.

4. kerstingm

kerstingm Member

If you go to Ruger's website under Mini 14's they have a video talking about the improvements they made to the Mini 14 because of the AR'S we basicly kickin their ass. (In so many words)