New Mexico Unit 34 Elk

coonazz2

I posted this on the elk forum and got only one reply but seems like a nice guy thats giving me all the help i'll probably need. I'm reposting here just to see if anyone has anything to say about the unit. Anyone ever hunted it? Has it been dryer than normal ghis year? Etc.
"My 13yr old son drew a NM unit 34 youth elk tag. I have never hunted unit 34 and was wondering if anyone had any experience in that unit. I am in the process of ordering maps and gps software but so far its pretty overwhelming. Its tough to scout from over 1000 miles away. Not sure where to start or where to camp. Any info would be greatly appreciated."

Last edited:
I'm not sure I can be of much help but was fortunate enough to draw a 2nd season rifle tag for 34 in 2011. Hunted around Weed. Went with some friends that hunt it regularly. Apparently it was extremely dry that year and the elk were acting a bit different. Didn't see many elk but managed to find a large herd with 1 shooter in the group.

From what I collected the elk were in the higher elevations at that time.

Good draw for your kid. I know GMU 34 pretty well. I will be helping my friend scout for his 2nd week elk bow tag here. I can try to provide some help. Yes, it is super super dry in the Lincoln right now. I was up in 34 turkey hunting two weeks ago, I fully expect it to be another crazy fire season down here again. Anyways I know where a lot of springs are and such so I can be of some help. Be prepared that where most of the elk tend to be located is thick country with lots of up and downs at 8000-1000k ft. It won't be long range hunting at all. You will be happy to be able to get a clear shot. Get in shape. Although the Elk are thick in places, I'm not a huge fan of 34 because there are a ton of roads. Most people road hunt so it helps to get in a couple valleys off the roads. Hopefully your youth hunt won't be too pressured. GMU 34 is plastered with pieces of public land. Buy a map ahead of time, the lincoln forest has a great map, better than you can get from any of the map services companies, for about 10 bucks. Shoot me a PM with your email address and I will keep you updated as the summer goes on.

John

I hunted this unit during the black powder season a few years back. Camped in the forest along a heavily traveled road. Leave Weed and go through Sacramento. Where the road splits the main road will take you to Timberon. Take the road to the right. It will end at a forest lookout structure. However, about four miles back there are a lot of camp sites and this is were we sat in camp and watched a line of cows cross the road followed by a small bull.

We had a hunter that couldn't handle the altitude and could only sleep setting up in his pickup. One night he heard noise and pulled on the head lights. He was in the middle of a herd of Elk. Of course they were gone with first light.

The grocery store at the highway intersection in Weed is about the only place you can buy anything of importance.

I would be back there this year if the State hadn't got chicken-Licken with their tags.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. We had a great hunt.

Attachments

• Beau 073.jpg
    Beau 073.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 534
My Lord what a freezer full of meat! So tell us about the hunt, what did the lad use? I don't see any wounds in the picture. Just between you and me, I think you have a future hunter on your hands.:)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.