New Mexico Barbary sheep

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Jimm, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

Well ,

My fingers are a bit better now , the typing ones that is . After typing the New mexico oryx hunt details I was wimping out on typing any more very soon .

Since I am not a good typing storyteller I will just put down some facts abou t the hunt and a few pix . My friends say that my medium is " verbal " and some even say they would rather hear me tell the story as opposed to being there . Boy , I must cook some good food when they come over !

The oryx hunt was fun and successful . We left Alamogordo to travel to Roswell to pickup Scotts' bighorn sheep and elk mount from the 05 -06 hunts .

Innocent conversation ................yeah right , We wern't at the taxidermists for 10 minutes before Scott was badgering him about the potential hunt areas around Roswell .

Not wanting to go pee around the premises in plain sight of the neighbors I asked permission to use the " little boys room " .

Big mistake ............ big mistake that is if I wanted to get home any time soon . As soon as I exited from the house there they stood ................ staring at me !!

What ? ... my question was weak and ignored . Scotts' grin was nuff said . The taxidermists' knew a rancher that owns approx 50 sections and has Barbary sheep free ranging all over them .

Jimba ! , what do you think ? he asked . Man , looking at that beaming , smiling face how could I say no ? I mean , what diff that if I wasn't home right away I would lose all my potential business for the next several months ...................... there were sheep to shooot !!

The ins and outs of the hunt were as varied as they can be . Many stories have been told that would be practically word for word for this hunt .

50 square miles , roam at your will, plentiful game . Whats not to like ?

Something I did not know at the outset and did not put into words till the end ..........the Barbary sheep were more " game " than the mule deer . [image][​IMG][/image]

[image][​IMG][/image]

2. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

Jimm yall are doing yalls part keeping the NM animal population in check...good job.

I havent forgotten about what we discussed...just have been busier than a one armed paper hanger working and trying to close on a couple of pieces of hunting property....one down hopefully the other will go easier. Now the fun part starts...clearing and planting plots, building shoot houses, setting out feed stations and cameras. Hopefully I can get that info to you in a few days just awaiting a return call, but I think he is on his honeymoon.

3. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Real good photos. Nice hunt! just blessings after blessings.
    Good for you!
    Jimm, was that sheep shot at 137 yards?

4. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

Eaglet ,

It was 328 yds. first shot then 357 yds to put it down

Also , it was shot using my LSR 300 winnie built by Chris Matthews . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif That rifle is still shooting 1/4 moa , even when Scott shoots it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

As you said , " blessings after blessings "

Jim B.

5. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

Bout time you posted those pics!!! Good looking animal. No doubt you guys had a great trip.

6. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

Jimm:

Great pics and sounds like you had another super hunt. You're gonna have to move out west if you keep up this hunting pace. It'll save you a lot of driving. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

I thought I recognized that gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Y'all certainly had an adventure.

P.S.

You will need to post up a culinary review shortly on the subtle differences in oryx and Barbary goat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

[ QUOTE ]
    Y'all certainly had an adventure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dangnation !! Looky here Eddy Bo ..........there is hope for this misplanted Bama boy after all !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It was fun BB , we need to do it again with you along this time !

JIm B.

9. sw_hunter

sw_hunter Active Member

nice very nice! I want to hunt those sheep soon. but I have to wait to see what a drew for.

10. IChaseCoues

IChaseCoues Well-Known Member

I hope to find one soon also!
    Most of the state is open year 'round over the counter for Barbary sheep.
    Makes a nice spring hunt.

11. jrc36

jrc36 Active Member

What do the tags cost? What are the success rates?

12. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

Coues man,

Have you hunted them in the Lincoln National forest down where the Guadalupe Mts. are ?

I was told by the N.M. game and fish there are some really good rams there in the more rugged areas . You guys down there in New Mexico have some really good hunting opportunities !

Did you get Troy Floyds ( the ranch where Scott and I hunted ) phone number from the Roswell G&amp;F ?

Jim B.

13. screech

screech Well-Known Member

what are the specs of the rifle?

14. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

Screech ,

The rifle specs are as follows :

Builder - Chris matthews -Longshot
    Rifles
    Broughton 5c bbl. 28"
    11 twist
    Remy accurized action
    Jewell trigger 14 oz.
    McMillan A5 std l.o.p.
    Badger base and rings
    Leupold mk 4 8.5x25x50
    Of course it is pillar and skim bedded . This was my first custom rifle and I doubt I will ever top it . It has been a solid performer from the beginning . Load developement found many very accurate loads with different bullets and powders.