New Mex Unit 15 Elk mzl

McDanax

I just got an email from New Mexico Game & Fish...
I drew unit 15 - 1st muzzleloader elk!!!

I've never been there... On the fence if I should take my packgoats, or hire an Outfitter.... Never killed an elk either. I guess that all depends on what kind of info I can dig up...
Anyone have any input?

Congrats on drawing a NM elk hunt. I drew elk in 51, deer in 37, and barbary sheep. What a great day! If you got livestock to pack out animals than thats the best way to go. I do not ever favor using outfitters, I think the best way to elk hunt is to go out and figure it out. Unit 15 is thick country, very good for muzzle loader. Talk to local game wardens on where to go, they are always giving helpful info. Good luck

I drew the second archery hunt in unit 15. I haven't hunted there but I don't live too far from there. I will be doing a lot of scouting over the next few months. My hunt is Sept 11-18. I will fill you in on the scouting and hunt as time goes along.

I also drew a mature buck antelope tag for rifle in the unit just south of unit 15. I couldn't believe that I drew that as there are only 20 tags given out for that hunt.

Korhil,

I got NM elk bow sept 16-22 up there.... What do you know of the area??? Can you help me out? I hunted 15 last year and heard them but couldn't get a shot.
Thanks
Mario

Thanks a bunch!!! Come join us if you want... we will have a blast I am sure!!!! I am sure you will too!!!! A bad day hunting is better than a good day at work... Right???

hahhahahaa

The first muzzleloader hunt is an great draw. I am a guide in the area and I am positive the will be screaming there. I had hunters take several bulls there last year at the same time. I will be hunting Sept.1-10 rhis year. My best advice is for a huge bull is Mangas or Sand Flats. anywhere around the lake Quemado Lake will get you an Elk. Good Luck to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.