twocan

Hi All:

Just picked up my new Savage Model 110FCP, HS Precision in 338 Lapua Mag.

Now I have to outfit it with a new scope and select proper ammo for it. Since I do not reload, I will be using factory ammo.

I have looked at many of the forum posts and I am impressed with the quality of knowledge that resides here at Long Range Hunting. Thank you in advance for helping me learn the techniques to be an accurate long range shooter.

I have mostly shot at shorter ranges up to about 500 yards with .30-06 rifles. This is my first long range capable rifle which I will use for target shooting and for long range self defense while 200 miles offshore where I spend considerable time out of range of help from US Coast Guard or anyone else.

Like life insurance premiums, I am hoping never to have to collect on the investment.

Any thoughts on this Savage rifle or appropriate scopes or ammo would be greatly appreciated.

Capt. Art

Get a scope with lots of elevation adjustment, Nightforce NXS. Box ammo, Lapua 300gr Scenar. Since you don't reload you can send me the used brass. Lol. I work offshore too, they frown upon us bringing anything larger than a small pocket knife though.

Thanks, Ludicrous.

You will notice however, that once the armed security teams were placed on merchant ships, the pirate attacks have been seriously reduced.

I saw an article stating that the high spending by pirates has put a damper on the local economy in hookers and bling.

Seems like accomodation by the insurance companies encouraged more kidnappings just as the appeasement of airline hijackers prior to Sept 11

Maybe we will learn some day that fighting back is better than giving in to bullies. Stay safe at sea.

Do you prefer using a mil dot or moa reticle?

Capt. Art

Ludicrous:

I understand that individuals are permitted to bring aboard firearms as long as they are classified as "personal effects"

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.