New Member to the Family

SES50

I picked up my new 338 Lapua from the gun shop that other day that Todd Bettin built for me. So, this weekend I decided to pull out the long range guns out to take some pictures.

The new rifle is the tan one.
Stiller Tac338 Action
26" 5R Mike Rock Barrel ABS wrapped
DE Brake
Jewel Trigger
Badger Bottom Metal and Mag
Badger Rings (Which are going to be replaced, Not impressed)
USO 3-17 T-pal Scope with PCMOA reticle
Lone Wolf Stock
ACI Indicator
USO Anti-cant device

She fits in well with the 308, 300WM and the 50BMG.

IMG_3648.jpg

SES50

Last edited:
On Photobucket use the "Direct Link", right click, copy and then here just use the picture icon, in the box that opens right click, paste and then preview and submit.

IMG_3648.jpg

Thanks ss7mm for your help on posting pictures.

From talking to Todd Bettin the Howler weights about 1.5lbs and the ABS barrel weighs around 3lbs in a 26" length. The rifle with that lead weight of a scope on it weighs around 12lbs unloaded. But that scope is really clear.

I like the feel of that Howler so far. I had Bob at Lone Wolf get rid of the cheek rest so I could put on the pad that I have on thier. The stock is a little short on me so this weekend I am going to add a new limbsaver pad and spacer to get it to fit better. Todd Bettin is a great guy and was really great to work with. He did a great job on the rifle.

Very nice rifles for sure..

I have one rifle w/a thumbhole stock -still undecided on whether i'm a thumbhole fan ,the squarish bottom of the stock runs over the back of my left hand [while squeezing the rear bag] = hurts a bit .
But off shooting sticks while predator calling it's great...

Nice optics too.....

Nice looking rifles for sure.

What types of scopes do you have on your other rifles, and how do you like them?

How do they compare to the USO scope for resolution and light transmission?

The M1A had the 2-12 IOR. I shoot it out to 1000 yards without any issues. I like the MP-8 reticle with the center dot, but I really wish it was a first focal plane MAO reticle.

The 700PSS is my wifes rifle in 300WM. It has a 3-18 IOR. I really like this scope since it has a good magnification range for long range hunting and stalking all in one scope. I have build that rifle for her to take out shooting when we are shooting steel out at distance and to come out and participate at the long range comps if she wants. I also use it as a back up rifle if I need it for hunting. Again if this scope was first focal plane and MOA reticle I would probably have it on the new 338 Lapua as well.

The IOR scopes have really good glass for the price. I would definiately buy the 3-18 IOR over a Leupy Mark 4 for usability and glass. The quick short shots with the dot in the middle of the reticle are awsome and I wish other scope vendors would incorperate the target dot. The only thing is the IORs are heavier than the Mark 4 by a considerable amount. Not shown here I also have one of IOR's 1.5-8 scopes on my 16" barreled AR-15 that works really great for PPC and other short range competitions and then also for shooting squirels out to medium range. So for the price I think the IOR's are pretty darn good compared to other scopes on the market.

That being said I have been looking into Nightforce because they have the MOA reticle but I really do not like thier magnification ranges. I like scopes that I can use both for close and far distances and the NF 5.5 low power seems a little to high for a quick snap shot on deer less than 50 yards. I will probably try the 3.5-15 on my next rifle just to see how I like it and see how it compares to IOR and Leupold.

The USO scopes are great. The EREK knob is the best and the first focal plane can not be beat. The first focal plane and the MOA reticle that you can spot and measure your misses is great. I have looked throught the S&B scopes and they have really nice glass as well but elevation travel is a little lacking in my opinion and I do not think they have an MOA reticle as I recall. USO has great customer service and the fact that I can customize my scope anyway I want is really nice. USO like the IOR are heavier than thier counterparts but I think the extra weight is worth it.

Everyone has thier opinion and I guess I have been choosing heavier scopes that work the way I want them over lighter scopes that do not have most of the qualities I want.

SES50

SES50,

I really appreciate the additional information you offered on your collection of scopes. That's just the type of feedback I was looking for. I have a couple IOR 3-18x and I thought that one looked like it might be an IOR. I've only read great things about the USO scopes so I was hoping for some type of comparison between it and the other scopes on your rifles. So thanks again for the followup response.

FWIW, I'm really happy with my IORs also. The resolution is really impressive. I agree they're heavy, but the reticle, power range, and resolution were too hard for me to pass up, so I accept the extra weight as a necessary compromise in order to obtain these features that I value.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.