New Member Needing Guidance On My Next Rifle

If I was going to buy a dedicated target rifle it would have the heaviest barrel I could get. The light barrels are nice when hunting but for real target work the heavy rifles rule. I think you will be happy with the Savage rifles. Everyone of them I've bought have shot awesome with hand loads. Good luck on your decision!

Re-reading through this thread and I fully agree with the others who have advised on getting a heavy rifle. For target use, a light rifle is only going to be a handicap. Any of the 12 series would be great, I would lean towards something in 6.5mm, personally I would go with the 6.5mm-284 in the 12 Benchrest model. The big downside is now I want one and I'm not even a target guy. stupid long range forum. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! It was really helpful. I settled on a riffle and purchased the Savage model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. For an optic I went with the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. I'm really happy with the setup and can't wait to take it out and enjoy it. The more I learned about the 6.5 Creedmoor the more I realized it was right up my ally for what I was looking to do with my riffle. I enjoy hand loading and am looking forward to working up some loads for it this summer.

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! It was really helpful. I settled on a riffle and purchased the Savage model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. For an optic I went with the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. I'm really happy with the setup and can't wait to take it out and enjoy it. The more I learned about the 6.5 Creedmoor the more I realized it was right up my ally for what I was looking to do with my riffle. I enjoy hand loading and am looking forward to working up some loads for it this summer.

A belated welcome to LRH ... enjoy!

I totally agree with your decision on 6.5/.264 caliber. Don't have any experience with the CM but love my 6.5x55 Swede.

Good luck and happy safe shooting.

I had the Model 10 predator and Model 11 LRH in 6.5 cm and can say both guns factory with hand loads can produce .5 moa all day long. I upgraded my Model 10 with a Shilen select match 6.5 cm and a bunch of other goodies and can shoot a 8 shot clover and that accuracy and precision maintains out to 1000 yards. You will not be disappointed in the Savage

I thought I would post a couple of pics. The first target is with Hornady 120 gr factory loads @ 100 Yards, shot in an indoor range. Looks to be sub or close to 0.5" with 3 shots.

The second target I shot yesterday with Hornady 140gr factory loads @ 300 yards. Measures approx 0.55". Again 3 shots. So far this thing is shooting great! :)

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 9
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 10
I thought I would post a couple of pics. The first target is with Hornady 120 gr factory loads @ 100 Yards, shot in an indoor range. Looks to be sub or close to 0.5" with 3 shots.

The second target I shot yesterday with Hornady 140gr factory loads @ 300 yards. Measures approx 0.55". Again 3 shots. So far this thing is shooting great! :)

You gotta love the out-of-the box accuracy of Savage rifles esp. with factory ammo!gun)

I have a savage 111 that was built for me by professionals chambered in 6.5/284, and am currently in the middle of a DIY savage 111 that will be 280 Ackley when finished. Your savage should keep you happy for, well, for the rest of your life. When you burn out the barrel you can put a new one on yourself, if you decide to change calibers, you can do that yourself, and the list goes on. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor on a Ruger action (before I caught the savage virus) and run 140VLD Bergers at 2740fps out of a 25.5 inch barrel, fluted and braked. If you think your rifle is sweet now, put a brake on it and enjoy watching the bullets hit the target in real time. I also run Vortex scopes (Vipers, not PSTs) and hunt with Kenton custom turrets, which are pretty handy for longer shots in the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.