new member from New Mexico/Texas

bern0134

Hello All,
Just joined. Originally from New Mexico but currently living in Lubbock, TX. Just enjoy shooting and recently started to reload to get better performance out of my rifles. Looking for an new rifle to get just for the fun and enjoyment of shooting long range. Any advice is welcome.

Yea, I'm all for cheap per se. So my next questions are, I am looking at getting a Remington Sendero as a starter rifle so I would like your opinion. Secondly, I'm trying to decide on a caliber. I'm looking at either a 300 WM or 300 Ultra. What are your opinions on those as well?

I don't have a Sendero so I can't speak from first hand knowledge but I know that a lot of guys here have them and are really satisfied.

I think it's more a matter of how your gun is set up and what you feed it in the way of loads for a given cartridge than it is the exact cartridge. Feed it junk and you'll get bad results. Take the time to find the load it likes and you'll be a happy camper.

If you don't have any external ballistic software then there are some free ones out there that will let you run comparisons on the different cartridge and load combinations and that might help you make up your mine. You could ask that same question on the General Forum and probably get a lot of different opinions but that's really what you'd get, someone's opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.