New Member from Hemphill, TX

DoubleT

I have read lots of threads on this site over the last few months and decided I wanted to start participating in them. I am 34 and have been going hunting since before I could walk. I enjoy hunting for anything that moves with both guns and bows. I have killed elk, mule deer, whitetail, audad and antelope. I also killed a Russian boar and Roe deer in Romania. I am currently working in Romania. I enjoy bird hunting as well (prefer upland but like waterfowl too). I grew up in the Texas Panhandle but now live on Toledo Bend Reservior. I enjoy fishing of all kinds as well (fly fishing, bass, inshore, and offfshore).

I am a professional engineer so I do not believe the math part of shooting long distances will be any problem. This being said I have lots to learn and am looking forward to this new pursuit.

The first thing I need to do is build a rifle that will suit my needs. I would like to build something I can hunt everything from elk to deer with. I am partial to 300 Win. Mags. My main rifle currently is a Ruger M77 MKII in a 300 Win Mag with a 2.5-8 Leupold that I use for everything other than elk. For elk, I use a Ruger M77 MKII 338 Win Mag with a 3.5-10 Leupold. I do handload already.

I plan on spending up to $3500 total for scope and rifle. I have been looking at going with a Remington Sendero 300 Win Mag with a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1 NXS with MOA reticle which is a first focal plane scope. I believe this setup will end up weighing around 11 lbs. I do not know what to think about a rifle weighing this much. My current setup weighs about 9 lbs so it is not that much more. The carry weight does not bother me but I am afraid of shooting offhand with a heavier rifle.

Glad to join your group. From everything I have read on here so far there are many members with lots of good knowledge about long range shooting and hunting. Hopefully, you guys can teach me a thing or two.

Welcome!
Hope you find some success in the long range stuff... it's a blast!! :D

Alot of guys from my hometown are fans of the 300 Win Mag for their long range pursuits, I currently hunt with a 300 RUM on a Remington 700... but in favor of a little less recoil I just got a 7mm barrel to turn it into a 7mm Rem Mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.