New Member from Arkansas Here!

RevZ

Hey everyone! My name is Tyler, call me Revz lol. I'm a gunsmith from Arkansas trying to get all my ducks in a row to be able to open my own shop! I normally specialize in Long Range Precision rifles but have been known to build several CQB guns as well (i.e. AR platform, Shotguns, and Race Guns). But here on LRH.com long range is the name of the game! I'm kinda limited to what I can do with the rifles I build as I dont own a lathe or CNC or any other big machinery to aid me with my builds therefore I have a lot of out of house work that has to be done, normally work with savages for the ease of gunsmithing on that platform with the "barrel nut", however I just bought a new rifle a remington 700 VAR SF in .308. I cant do any barrel work on the Remingtons due to the above reasons, however everything else is done by myself, as far as bedding, lapping, and so on and so forth. The rifles I build I only have one requirement for them to meet and sub-MOA says it all. If I can't pull sub-MOA accuracy out of a gun I have come to believe it can't be done lol. Anyways ya'll have a nice day!

Welcome to LRH . All new knowledge is welcome . It would be hard for you without a lathe and mill but there is still a lot you can do by hand.
A lot of the modern gunsmiths have lost the art of hand fitting because they do everything with machines for fast turn over . You would be a good man to refurbish a shotgun .

Welcome to LRH. We need more smiths in AR who are into long range accuracy
and also more places where we can go shoot long range. What part of the state
do you call home?

Hey guys and thanks for the replies currently i reside about an hour outside of Hot Springs on the north shores of lake ouachita. I'm pleased to see that I'm welcome here! And Bullet bumper, I agree with you 100%! If I had a lathe and a mill I could do it all lol but everything else that gets done to my rifles is done by hand logging long hours of experience lol I to agree that most modern smiths have lost the passion and heart of completing a job that is unique to the specific rifle that your working on, a quality of work that can't be reproduced on a large scale, only by skilled hands. I mean dont get me wrong im only 22 years old and I do still have alot to learn but at the same time I hold all my work that I do to be some of the best smithing in Arkansas simply because if it's not right it doesn't leave my door until its proven to meet my strict requirements! Thanks again guys and hopefully this year will be kind and I can get my NFL and my shop worked out so I can start building rifles for the fine folks here in Arkansas!

There will come a day in the world that among the followers of freedom that a gunsmith will be a saviour again as many were and will be again.

There will come a day in the world that among the followers of freedom that a gunsmith will be a saviour again as many were and will be again.

Haha well said sir well said! I can only hope to be so lucky to be a part of said movement when the the time comes! And since America has spun outta control on the topic of gun control let me start this be saying that guns do not need to be taken away, gun keep the balance of our nation. Any law you pass to prohibit sales of a particular firearm will be broken by the criminals that break the law now, so what's goin to stop them from breaking a new law. The only people this is going to hurt are the responsible gun owners in America that use there weapons for recreation hunting or ultimately self defense. Take that away and you are left with a sitting duck waiting to be devoured. My personal opinion, god bless all the aouls lost in all the shootings that brought this forth, but to have a more stringent process purchasing a firearm, and to have armed police officers at schools patrolling, not some mace toting donut eating couch potato that I had at my high school growing up. So as far as gun control goes, I say to all my fellow responsible gun owners..... Hold it with TWO hands and shoot straight!
Please note this was not intended to start a political debate merely showing my support lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.