New Member Central Valley of California

ElectricZ32

Hello my name is Scott and I have been a hunter and shooter my whole life. I am 56 years old and have been hunting since I was about 10 years old. I grew up in the military and then became part of it. I am now disability retired and am trying to get involved in a new aspect of shooting rifles. I am traditionally a shotgun collector and shooter but recently purchased a new "starter" rifle to replace a rifle I had to sell a few years ago to pay the bills. It wasn't easy but you do what you have to do to support your family. I am now in a better position ( kids are grown ) to enjoy shooting a rifle again. I always thought that 300 yds was a pretty good distance to shoot a target but ran across this magazine and have already learned so much. I am taking baby steps on this but I so look forward to learning about things that I never knew about rifle shooting. I reload rifle and shot shells and I cant wait to start getting into all the technical articles. California is not as anti gun as people would think. There are places to shoot but getting access is difficult without having the right connections. Unfortunately, I don't have the connections lol. I look forward to learning from this site and you just never know I may meet some other members one day.-----Scott

I live in Turlock. It is about 15 miles south of Modesto. There are a few places to shoot as long as 100 yds is a far as you want to shoot. My son is also a shooter but likes the AR platform versus my bolt action. I told him about the Long Range Hunter site but not sure he has checked it out yet. My wife still works so I stay home a take care of my greyhounds. I grew up in West Texas so I have never gotten used to being so cramped as I am down here in the central valley. I know that's more answer than you probably wanted lol.

Good morning digger11. Yep I live in Turlock w my wonderful wife over by the hospital. I have been to Patterson a couple times. Do you ever go out to the Manteca Sportsmans Club? I think that is what it is called. Its out by the river levy south of Manteca off Airport Blvd I think. I also have shot quite a bit of Trap out at the Rooster Ranch in Newman. I am shooting a .270 because I have always liked this rd. I also have reloaded it since I was about 15 years old so I am familiar with it.

Thanks to FearNoWind for the info on shooting ranges. I am very familiar with the Rancho Murieta area because I was an Electrical Sales Engineer and traveled to the Water Treatment Plant there. I know Sloughhouse as well because I think I remember a place to get produce and BBQ there. Anyway, thanks again and have a nice day--Scott

Hi Scott . . . nope, CA could but friendlier to gun owners but I doing just fine.

Rachel from LA

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.