New member/build suggestions?

Guldenator

New to the forum and long range stuff. Hunted most of my life, but never shot game beyond 400yrds.
I'm planning to build a long range.280 for hunting and non comp. shooting, from a rem 700 Mtn. rifle. Unless others have better ideas, I am planning to use a Mc. Game Warden stock, Triggertech trigger, and because I live in southern Oregon I will use PTG bottom metal and a Pac Nor barrel. Can anyone give me a little advise on barrel length, #of grooves, twist, and contour? I'm open to any of the 7mm bullet weights, and I'm not afraid to pack a semi-heavy rifle. I know I didn't provide much information, but I also don't really know much. Thanks for the help.

New to the forum and long range stuff. Hunted most of my life, but never shot game beyond 400yrds.
I'm planning to build a long range.280 for hunting and non comp. shooting, from a rem 700 Mtn. rifle. Unless others have better ideas, I am planning to use a Mc. Game Warden stock, Triggertech trigger, and because I live in southern Oregon I will use PTG bottom metal and a Pac Nor barrel. Can anyone give me a little advise on barrel length, #of grooves, twist, and contour? I'm open to any of the 7mm bullet weights, and I'm not afraid to pack a semi-heavy rifle. I know I didn't provide much information, but I also don't really know much. Thanks for the help.

Nosler/SAAMI .280 AI, 26" barrel, 1:8 twist, 5R cut-rifling, #5 or #6 contour will be a good compromise of weight and rigidity for LR accuracy and repeatability.

Or, you could order a 26" Proof Research 1:8 7mm Sendero contour barrel chambers for the Nosler/SAAMI spec .280 AI round, and you get the best of both worlds. It performs like a full-bull barrel, but has the weight of a sporter barrel. This is the route I would personally go, but the barrel blanks are about twice what a metal blank is...

https://www.stockysstocks.com/barre...rels/proof-research-carbon-fiber-barrels.html

If you're wanting speed, the Berger 168's work great (I shoot them in my 7mmRM for deer, shoots really fast and flat). The Berger 180 Hybrids are good compromise of speed/weight and you should be able to push them ~2,800-2,900 FPS. Or you could step up to the new Berger 195 Elite Hunters and while you lose muzzle velocity, you will retain more energy and it will hit harder for larger game like mule deer, elk, caribou, moose, bear, etc...

If you go with a standard .280 chamber I would get a 1:9 twist, #4 or #5 contour, 24" barrel. I don't think you get much benefit from shooting bullets over 175 grains with the .280. If you do the AI version, which is a very good idea, you'd be better served by a 1:8 twist 26" barrel. Those few extra grains of powder will make the 180 grain bullets a good option. And the extra 2" of barrel will work well for that setup.

Pac-Nor makes great barrels. I have a fluted #5 on my 270 WSM and I really like it. Plenty stiff and not too heavy to pack around. If it were my gun I'd do the.280 AI with a 26" 1:8 twist and a fluted #5 contour. And I'd shoot the 180 grain Hornady ELD Match bullets at 2800+ fps with a big grin on my face.

I already have a 9.5# 7RM with a 26" Bartlein #3 fluted 1:8.5" twist w. APA Micro Bastard brake, Manners EH2, Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny base, Badger alloy "Max 50" rings, and a S&B PMII 3-20x50. I shoot the 180 Hybrid @ 3000fps.

I am in the works for a lightweight medium range (to 800ish) build, a .280 AI. I will be pushing the 168 HVLD, hopefully to 2900-2950fps or so. It will wear a 26" Proof Research "Sendero Light" contour, 1:9" twist. Hoping to come in under 9# all dressed.

Already have the donor action (a .25-06 AI at the moment), a trued R700 LA BDL (will be going to LRI for bolt fluting and skeletonizing the bolt handle), a Manners EH1 in Black Forest, Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny base, and Seekins alloy 4 screw rings. It will wear a Tangent Theta TT315M when it is complete.

Lord don't cut up a factory Mtn rifle!!! Lol. Especially if it's an early one. I agree with the 700 action but am a real fan of the Mtn rifles. Which one do you have? Also agree on the Ackley version. I have both and the extra speed definitely helps with the heavier bullets. Good luck with the build.

Lord don't cut up a factory Mtn rifle!!! Lol. Especially if it's an early one. I agree with the 700 action but am a real fan of the Mtn rifles. Which one do you have? Also agree on the Ackley version. I have both and the extra speed definitely helps with the heavier bullets. Good luck with the build.

I bought it in 1998 I think. It's a DM model w/o the mag. Currently it has a B&C blind mag.composite mtn. stock. The bolt and bolt handle were fluted and skeltonized as well as coated black several years ago by Kampfeld. You want it?

Nosler/SAAMI .280 AI, 26" barrel, 1:8 twist, 5R cut-rifling, #5 or #6 contour will be a good compromise of weight and rigidity for LR accuracy and repeatability.

Or, you could order a 26" Proof Research 1:8 7mm Sendero contour barrel chambers for the Nosler/SAAMI spec .280 AI round, and you get the best of both worlds. It performs like a full-bull barrel, but has the weight of a sporter barrel. This is the route I would personally go, but the barrel blanks are about twice what a metal blank is...

https://www.stockysstocks.com/barre...rels/proof-research-carbon-fiber-barrels.html

If you're wanting speed, the Berger 168's work great (I shoot them in my 7mmRM for deer, shoots really fast and flat). The Berger 180 Hybrids are good compromise of speed/weight and you should be able to push them ~2,800-2,900 FPS. Or you could step up to the new Berger 195 Elite Hunters and while you lose muzzle velocity, you will retain more energy and it will hit harder for larger game like mule deer, elk, caribou, moose, bear, etc...

Took most of your advice. Drove to PacNor today. Really nice people. I am having them put a 26", 280 AI, fluted barrel on my 700 action. It will be a 1 in 8 twist with three grooves. Now, any advice for reloading equipment? Thank you again.

Took most of your advice. Drove to PacNor today. Really nice people. I am having them put a 26", 280 AI, fluted barrel on my 700 action. It will be a 1 in 8 twist with three grooves. Now, any advice for reloading equipment? Thank you again.

I'd get them to blueprint the action (at the very minimum square the receiver face and bolt face), and make sure they're using the new Nosler/SAAMI spec reamer, that way your dies will match, and you can order factory Nosler .280 AI ammo (to get brass), or factory Nosler .280 AI brass to reload.

Personally, I use an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme IV press. I use both RCBS and Redding dies. Both are good products, but I prefer the Redding dies, honestly. I use an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 automated primer dispenser.

You can get a great deal on a similar starter kit here... Might seem pricey, but it's worth the money.

RCBS® Rock Chucker Supreme Deluxe Reloading Kit with Nosler® No. 7 Reloading Manual and RCBS Trim Pro 2 Case Trimmer : Cabela's

As for dies, here's my suggestion...

Redding Deluxe 3-Die Set 280 Ackley Improved

And you'll need the matching shellholder...

Redding Shellholder #1 (308 Winchester 30-06 Springfield 45 ACP)

Here's brass... Fair warning, never ordered from these folks before, but they appear to be the only people on the internet with Nosler .280 AI brass in stock... I'd order about 5 boxes of it. I'd call them first and talk to them, just because I've never ordered from them before. They appear to be a small-town outdoors store. Might be some good folks...They are in Memphis, TN.

https://www.dowdlesports.com/Nosler-280-Ackley-Imp-Brass-50-ct_p_41533.html

Or you could always backorder through Midway. Not sure if you're familiar with them, but they're an excellent company. I've ordered TONS of stuff from them over the years. They're a great company.

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 280 Ackley Improved 40-Degree Shoulder

Or, get some factory ammo and shoot it to get the brass... Sort of expensive, but it is an option for immediate brass availability.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/44...-ackley-improved-140-grain-accubond-box-of-20

I'd get them to blueprint the action (at the very minimum square the receiver face and bolt face), and make sure they're using the new Nosler/SAAMI spec reamer, that way your dies will match, and you can order factory Nosler .280 AI ammo (to get brass), or factory Nosler .280 AI brass to reload.

Personally, I use an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme IV press. I use both RCBS and Redding dies. Both are good products, but I prefer the Redding dies, honestly. I use an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 automated primer dispenser.

You can get a great deal on a similar starter kit here... Might seem pricey, but it's worth the money.

RCBS® Rock Chucker Supreme Deluxe Reloading Kit with Nosler® No. 7 Reloading Manual and RCBS Trim Pro 2 Case Trimmer : Cabela's

As for dies, here's my suggestion...

Redding Deluxe 3-Die Set 280 Ackley Improved

And you'll need the matching shellholder...

Redding Shellholder #1 (308 Winchester 30-06 Springfield 45 ACP)

Here's brass... Fair warning, never ordered from these folks before, but they appear to be the only people on the internet with Nosler .280 AI brass in stock... I'd order about 5 boxes of it. I'd call them first and talk to them, just because I've never ordered from them before. They appear to be a small-town outdoors store. Might be some good folks...They are in Memphis, TN.

https://www.dowdlesports.com/Nosler-280-Ackley-Imp-Brass-50-ct_p_41533.html

Or you could always backorder through Midway. Not sure if you're familiar with them, but they're an excellent company. I've ordered TONS of stuff from them over the years. They're a great company.

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 280 Ackley Improved 40-Degree Shoulder

Or, get some factory ammo and shoot it to get the brass... Sort of expensive, but it is an option for immediate brass availability.

Nosler Trophy Grade Ammo 280 Ackley Improved 140 Grain AccuBond Box of

Again, thank you for the information. My wife will love this shopping list! by the way, Pac Nor is indeed squaring/printing the action. My best.

Glad to help.

Also, I just re-read and noticed that I said "Chargemaster 1500 automatic primer dispenser"... Wow... I meant to type "automatic powder dispenser". Not really sure where my mind was when I typed that one, but it sure wasn't where it needed to be. The thrills of multi-tasking... :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.