New Mbr from Lock Haven, Pa.

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by fultzrick, Oct 20, 2009.

1. fultzrick

fultzrick Member

Hello to all. Glad to be associated with such a fine group! I have recently become curious about long range shooting/hunting. It seems that I can't get enough new information to satisfy my thirst! The more I read.......the more I want to know. I am a life-long hunter and sportsman. I can't decide if I want to pursue the benchrest or hunting format. If anyone has any direction for me please let me know. All help would be appreciated. Also, what caliber of rifle would be best the best to start out with? I do have a Rem Model 700 RUM w/Leupold Vari-X III that I purchased some time ago but I have not done much with it yet. Would it be a good rifle to start with or should I use it as a trade-in on another more suitable rifle? Thanking all in advance, RicK Fultz

2. jmason

jmason Well-Known Member

Welcome Rick! That rum will do the job. Your in a perfect area over there for LR hunting!

3. yobuck

yobuck Well-Known Member

welcome rick, i just pased through lock haven on my way back to driftwood. im about 50 miles up the road from you. there are other members from lock haven. as jmason said the rum is a very good cartridge. actually one or the better ones. start getting tuned into binnoculars, and i dont mean hand binnoculars. if you dont load, start thinking about that also. dont be shy about asking questions. even dumb ones.

4. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

Welcome Rick.

I'm a bit south of you if you need any help. There's a few of us in PA that are all close to you, and all willing to help.

5. GrizzlyClaus

GrizzlyClaus Member

Welcome Rick, I am a little south of you, in Dover, ha, ha but do my hunting in Potter.

6. investorsc

investorsc New Member

I'm about an hour South of State College. Use the long range (1000 Yd.) at Mifflin County Sportsman.
    Bruce

7. fultzrick

fultzrick Member

Thanks for your reponse. I work in State College at Stocker Chevy/Subaru as their used car mgr. Should I start off by getting the 300 RUM worked on by a gunsmith?