New Longrange pistol (Savage) initial impression and your suggestions please

Looks good. I had to do some work on the trigger when I got my Striker too. Now it's a very crisp 2#. If you convert it to a rear grip stock you can just drop in a new trigger and avoid the linkage all together.

When you get bored with the 243, that would make a great 260 or 6.5x284.

Andrew

The more I stare at the linkage the less I understand it lol. I think I need to draw it as a picture.

243 is about all I think I can handle right now. I have shot a lot but this is another animal all together. I have been tossing the idea around in my head of running and offset mount and putting one of my aimpoint micros on it for the hunting season. To handle the stuff inside 50 yards. That way I can have two zeros one for the long stuff and one for the close, so I don't have to do any holding under and its a lot faster.

I would love to switch to a rear grip stock, at first I was thinking by one or maybe make a wood one. I have been looking all over for some factory inlet dimensions. I want to mill it out of aluminum, that way I can get everything I want in one shot. I can pull the dimensions off one of my ar lowers for the mounting extension and angles to run a ar style grip.

THat project is win win as its gets me experience in a lot of areas.

Id try shooting it that close first, it might be pretty good. I shot a doe with my 7wsm pistol inside of 20 yards and my 200 yard zero worked great ;)

And when you think about stepping up to a bigger caliber get a good side port brake. My 7wsm kicks a lot less then the factory 7-08 striker. It is a few pounds heavier too though..

Id try shooting it that close first, it might be pretty good. I shot a doe with my 7wsm pistol inside of 20 yards and my 200 yard zero worked great ;)

And when you think about stepping up to a bigger caliber get a good side port brake. My 7wsm kicks a lot less then the factory 7-08 striker. It is a few pounds heavier too though..

That's good to know thanks. I the reason I was considering the RDS was I have to push the pistol out so far to get a clear view through the scope. Not real comfortable doing that with the 2-6 scope.

You could order an XLR Industries stock for it. Then you could run AR grips on there. I have one of their rifle stocks and it's pretty nice. Here's a picture from over on Savage Shooters.
WindowsPhotoGalleryWallpaper.jpg

I really like the Neal Cooper rear grip stocks as well. This is my 6mm BR. This one is built off of a target action, but you can have them cut for the Striker action as well.
august2011022.jpg

Andrew

Thats my xlr rig. Rear grips are great for prone and bench shooting. And ive got a rest figured out now so i can sit on the ground or in a chair and be steady.

Mid length bipod and a hunting pack for a back/chair and you have a steady rest. Brace elbows on knees.

Rear grip is pretty long, so try it first. I find mid-grips more comfortable. I haev a 284 Win in a read grip Chaote stock I really like though.

Larry
Tinkerer

I'll agree that the rear grip guns are pretty long. The mid grip makes the gun kind of like a bullpup design.

I do like the factory Striker stocks I tweaked mine a bit by removing material in some parts and adding (with Bondo) to other parts. Now the grip is molded to my hand. Hit it with some paint and it looks pretty good from a distance.:D This is my 338/375 Ruger.
cellphonepics129.jpg

Andrew

That XLR rig is very nice. Thanks everyone for the tips. I have one load for it right now pushing an 85g BTHT, Picked up some 90g Ballistic tips and 105g amax to try out. I have been emailing Joel and I think I will most likely end up with one of his rear grip stocks.

The weather here has not been good, and I ordered the wrong rings for my pistol scope, so I'm in no hurry as the gun season does not open here till the 15th. I hope to get a 350 yard shot under my belt this year, during the regular season. I only get to do the long range hunting in the summer most of the time. I cant hunt those areas during the regular season.

I also picked up a striker recently. Mine is a factory 7-08 cal. have not shot it yet as just got brass and dies then took a job out of state and havent gotten back with time to load. The trigger on mine was terrible also. about 8.5 lbs with a ton of creap. how anyone could have shot this and hit anything amazes me. after about 30 mins of work i also had it down to 2lbs.....no creap. Next time i get home i am going to unscrew the barrel and send it to someone for a muzzle break. Any of you smiths on here want the job? send me a mssg and lets talk. AJ

PS.. the good thing about the new out of state job is that it is in Wyoming.....can anyone give me a heads up about the woof season and where to go? My 6-284 just happened to come along

I also picked up a striker recently. Mine is a factory 7-08 cal. have not shot it yet as just got brass and dies then took a job out of state and havent gotten back with time to load. The trigger on mine was terrible also. about 8.5 lbs with a ton of creap. how anyone could have shot this and hit anything amazes me. after about 30 mins of work i also had it down to 2lbs.....no creap. Next time i get home i am going to unscrew the barrel and send it to someone for a muzzle break. Any of you smiths on here want the job? send me a mssg and lets talk. AJ

PS.. the good thing about the new out of state job is that it is in Wyoming.....can anyone give me a heads up about the woof season and where to go? My 6-284 just happened to come along

Oh that's great, I don't know what I'm going to do with the trigger. I will have to swap it out if I go with the rear grip stock but to what I don't know. What ever smith you go with get Kirby Pain killer brake it the BEST!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.