New Long Range Scope

G

I understand that Schmidt & Bender will be comming out with a 6 to 24 X 50 scope. I don't have any details as of yet but will list them as soon as I find out.

Don
smile.gif

Lee,

Where did you get your pricing? That sure sounds high. Are you going strictly by "List" price?

Do you know if this scope will have a magnifying or non-magnifying reticle?

Thanks,

Don
smile.gif

Don-
I have a friend in Germany. I also get the occasional gun magazine from there. That's list in Germany which will no doubt be less than US.

While stationed in Germany I bought a Swarovski 6-24x50 for US $985 one day when the exchange rate was in up in favor of the dollar and before they had time to adjust prices. That's the one that goes for $1500 in the US.
shocked.gif

Lee,

I own and use a Schmidt & Bender 4 to 16 X 50 PM and a Swarovski 6 to 24 X 50 with a dot reticle. The Swarovski has target knobs and I use it on my 22 CHeetah MK 1 mostly for varmints, sometimes for culling does (whitetails). I don't know if prices have gone up since I bought my 6 to 24 X 50 but I paid around $1200 for it (3 years ago), not the $1500 you mentioned.

You got your Swarovski at a good price, thats for sure.

I haven't checked on the pricing for the S&B 6 to 24 X 50. As soon as they are available I will check pricing.

I saw on another site where a dealer was selling "new in box" S&B 1.5 to 6 X 42 S&B scope for $700.00 plus $17 shipping. I have that scope on my 375 H&H Ackley Improved. I wish I had known about that dealer before I purchased mine - I paid $810 for mine.

I have and use a Swarovski 2.5 to 10 X 42 on my 7mm mag. I did have a Leupold 2.5 to 8 X 42 on it but it spent more time at Leupold being repaired then it did on my rifle. They may have a good warranty - they sure need it. I will never go back to Leupold scopes.
I have never had to send back a S&B or Swarovski scope for any reason.

Good Hunting,

Don
smile.gif

Shaky

Sounds like you really don't care to much for the Leupolds! I've never had any trouble with them but I believe we may be a fair bit alike, something bites me on the *** a few times and I don't much care for it. (I had two Mercedes like that and I'll never own another one, in fact, I wouldn't take a FREE one if it was offered.)
Unlike you, Leupold has not failed me, heaven forbid that they should, I really do like thier scopes and I'm not sure how I'd ever be able to afford changing them all out.

Down at the shoot at the BadLands Tactical Training Center in Grandfield, OK a fella had a Swarovski scope on his rifle...the scope broke!! A rare sight indeed, things went sort of 'all stop' and we all got a look at the thing. (A bit like having a Unicorn prance past, better get a good look because it's not likely to happen again.)

The windage adjustment mechanism became detached from the scope!! It was a nice looking piece of metal tubing at that point but fairly useless as a scope
wink.gif
wink.gif
. The owner felt pretty sure that the problem would be fixed by Swarovski, everyone else was in agreement!

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: Dave King ]

Hello

A very simple solution here.

Buy two (2) Leupold Longrange 8 1/2X to 25X or Mark 4s for what one (1) of the above mentioned scopes cost and when one breaks (if it does) put the back up on while the other is getting fixed. The turn around time is about two weeks in most cases.

I have not had a problem with any of the LR or Mark 4 scopes to date. The clarity is extremely good and i have not looked in ANY scope that is sharper then them to date.
Of course, everyones eyes are different.

I guess I'm sort of a traditional American guy as I believe the Leupold is still made in the USA from my last information.

Later
DC

Darryl,
Every part of the Leupold scope is manufactured at their factory - except for the lenses which are bought offshore. I foolishly thought that they manufactured their own glass, was looking forward to seeing the grinding and polishing but no such thing when I had a chance to tour the place.

They told me that a good percentage of the scopes that come back DO NOT have any defects, other than an owner who cannot shoot... Their service is great when it is actually needed.

Last I heard the glass in Leupolds is made in Japan, which is fine by me. If it meets L&S specifications and it keeps me from having to spend more than I have to, then so be it.
grin.gif

I have experience with only two Leupold scopes, 6.5-20x50mm ($530) and 8.5-25x50LRT($656). Both have preformed flawlessly and didn't break the bank when opened my wallet.
Man I realy love that side focus on the LRT, it makes all the difference in the world, for ease of operation.

Dave,

You are correct, I don't care for Leupold scopes.

After I looked through a buddys Schmidt & Bender 1.5 to 6 X 42 at the range one night, I was hooked. I was using a 2.5 to 8 X 42 Leupold at the time. I quit shooting because I couldn't make out the target any longer - it was to dark. I then looked through his scope and WOW what a difference, it was like somebody turned a light on down at the target. I will never go back to a lessor Leupold scope.

I guess I got spoiled after looking through my buddys S&B.

I hunt in low light a lot and thats where the S&B and Swarovski scopes really shine. Although I have never owned a Zeiss or US Optics scope I hear the same thing about them - extremely good in low light conditions.

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif

Darryl,When I shot NBRSA 100 and 200 yard benchrest with the 6mmPPC I had to have two 36 BR Leupolds per gun to keep one working.
Usually somewhere under 1500 rounds fired a gun that would agg in the low .2s would start shooting .5s. Id send it off and get it back in a week or so and have another go.Finally got fed up and sent them off to Cecil Tucker and had a locking pin installed on the erector tube.This seemed to resolve the problems.I do have a 6.5-20 LRT that has been ok so far.Optically I think its only so so compared to the big euros.As long as it keeps working Ill be happy .be safe dave7mm

Darryl,Several years ago probley 93 a buddie
and I drove over to watch a match at Williamsport.This was the first time Id ever seen this and was very impressed with the range and the groups that were being shot that day.I had a blast watching these guys shoot.At that time I think there were 8 benches as I stood behind the firing line watching I noticed that on this relay anyway that there was not one Leupold scope on any gun being fired.I was shocked, no Leupolds?All I saw were 2 inch Unertls and Nightforce scopes. I turned to a guy standing next to me and asked about this.The guy turned out to be Bill Shehane.He said
"Leupold,who turned out the lights"Im a big S&B fan so I knew where he was comming from,I just never figured it mattered for target work that much.So I guess my question is how do you feel Leupold stacks up against Unertl and Nightforce?Ever see a Nightforce fall apart? be safe dave7mm

Darryl,Several years ago probley 93 a buddie
and I drove over to watch a match at Williamsport.This was the first time Id ever seen this and was very impressed with the range and the groups that were being shot that day.I had a blast watching these guys shoot.At that time I think there were 8 benches as I stood behind the firing line watching I noticed that on this relay anyway that there was not one Leupold scope on any gun being fired.I was shocked, no Leupolds?All I saw were 2 inch Unertls and Nightforce scopes. I turned to a guy standing next to me and asked about this.The guy turned out to be Bill Shehane.He said
"Leupold,who turned out the lights"Im a big S&B fan so I knew where he was comming from,I just never figured it mattered for target work that much.So I guess my question is how do you feel Leupold stacks up against Unertl and Nightforce?Ever see a Nightforce fall apart? be safe dave7mm

Hello Again
At present in the 16 1/2 Lb class there are more Leupolds then anything. Very few Nightforce scopes are being used in that class because they are very heavy. Hence comes the Leupold LR.

Back 10 yrs ago there were more Unertls being used then ANYTHING. Very few NF were being used back then.
The most used scope at Williamsport right now is the Leupold by probably 2 to 1.
There are still some Unertls and several NF being used. The NF is gaining popularity to some of the Heavy gun shooters.

If you were there during a World Open match and Shehane was there, you probably did see a few NF scopes. He is a big distributor or them and most of the shooters in the southern clubs use them.

It's still a choice every shooter must make for his own shooting ability. The Leupold, Nightforce, Unertle and others will not be satisfactory for every shooters eyes. Maybe some like the Weaver or Tasco targets.

I like the Leupold LR for match shooting at 1000 yards and also the Mark 4 that has been bumped up to 24X.

It doesn't make them (Leupolds) the best because I use them, then again, it doesn't make them the worst either. Just the best for me is what is important and I have tried all the above mentioned scopes.

You must try all of them and then make your own decision. I can't say what is the best scope out there. I can find fault in any of them.

Later
DC

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.