New Long Range Bullets

jwp475

These bullets are still in the proto type stage,early testing is promising a BC higher than anything else todate
[image]
AluminumTipWildcatBullets.jpg
[/image]

Yeah, Yeah..........he dangles these in front of our noses to keep us drooling and waiting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think maybe it's just photoshop stuff and he's pulling our legs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Maybe some day. Sure hope they work as good as they look.

These are 300 grain 338 cal by Widcat bullets.Richard is having the aluminum tips machined. These were the first proto types I believe.Richard is changeing the ogive on the next model proto type and has sent them out to few guys to try.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OK, we've been hearing about these things for a while. what's the skinny? what make jackets? how does the jacket compare to the Sierra's and Bergers? that 300 looks like a great bullet for the AM. I think i might like a 250 better with my setup.sure glad i've got a 10 twist,i'm guessing that will work with the 300's.does the aluminum tip promote/allow for quicker/more consistant expansion?

The bullets are still in the delopement stages,the aluminum tip should promote expansion,time will tell.There is also plans for a 260 grain which should have a bc close to or better than the 300 SMK.Once the 338 bore bullets are perfected then other calibers will follow.Planting season is starting and bullet developement will be on hold for a month or so......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi John i think the photo you have is of the 210gr 30 cals. Richard sent me that a month ago. They are impresive. I have some in 338, 30 cal, 7mm and 6mm when he gets them up and running

Cheers Bill
Australia

Here is a picture Richard sent me last month of some prototype 338 bullets. At that time I was waiting on some 257 bullets and decided in the end to go with his standard HP RBBT design.

My vague and perhaps wrong impression, is Richard is now working with the thick Harfield jacket and the aluminum tip to get a more controlled expansion from a high BC projectile.

I have no complaint with the J4 jackets in high sectional density bullets being as the amount of mass ensures good penetration.

IM000152.jpg

There have been test bullets in the air already. We have found with the original 300 gr 338 bullets that some barrels were tearing them apart. The reason is thought to be the very thin jackets used.

The Broughton barrels have shot these thin jacketed bullets very well from some of the early results we have gotten from Shawn Carlock and his 338 AM.

My two 338 AMs and one 338 Kahn with Lilja barrels would not shoot them, sliced the jackets right along the land centers on every shot.

As such, Richard has been testing some heavier jackets which will range from around just under 30 thou to 40 thou in jacket thickness if wanted. THese are similiar to the heavy jackets Richards original 300 and 350 gr ULDRBBTs were made on and they shot extremely well in all of my rifles with the Lilja barrels.

Not only will the heavier jackets help the bullets survive the launch speeds but they will also help on the terminal end of things as well as the thin jacketed bullets I would suspect would pop like a water balloon on big game. These heavier jackets should prove very stout on big game but the aluminum tips should promote expansion at any range really.

Testing the old designs, that was the problem with the SMK and ULD RBBT at ranges much past 1000 yards, no real expansion unless you get up to the 338 AM performance level.

With the aluminum tips, expansion should be consistant out to the mile range pretty comfortably I would predict.

From talking with Richard, and looking at the bullets I have in shop and have been testing, the 300 gr tipped bullet is longer then the original 350 gr ULD RBBT.

A 270 or 280 gr tipped bullet will be significantly longer then the SMK with a dramatically sharper ogive profile.

BC predictions, well, this will only start another fight so lets just say they should run head to head with the best 50 cal bullets out there but that has yet to be proven.

I have also tested some 30 cal versions and those are being worked on as well. The ones I have are 215 and 220 gr and make the 240 gr SMK look silly.

All in all, once the minor bugs are worked out, these bullets will offer a ballistic advantage over conventional bullets that will have to be seen to believe.

Only with the long solid VLD design bullets would you be able to rivel the BC of these pills and then they will not compare with the new aluminum tipped Wildcat Bullets as far as barrel to barrel consistancy performance.

This is cutting edge stuff Richard is doing. Truely amazing and will take us to new levels. Just running some preliminary numbers it looks like 3000 yards may be realistic with super sonic velocity out of rounds like my 338 AM. That is something no one has been able to achieve yet with conventional bullets, let alone a lead core bullet.

Richard is setting up to offer these in all calibers from 25 up to 50 cal I believe.

These will also be used in my soon to come 375 AM and 458 AM.

They will not be cheap but they will be significantly cheaper then the LRB bullets which will be the only real ballistic compeition for these bullets and then accuracy will not even be remotely as consistant as the Wildcats.

More to come very soon. I will be testing some of the heavy jacketed 338s tomorrow if the weather holds out. Will post my results.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Hi John i think the photo you have is of the 210gr 30 cals. Richard sent me that a month ago. They are impresive. I have some in 338, 30 cal, 7mm and 6mm when he gets them up and running

Cheers Bill
Australia

[/ QUOTE ]

Yews there are pictures of both the 30 cal. and the 338 cal. bullets with the same background according to Richard...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
There have been test bullets in the air already. We have found with the original 300 gr 338 bullets that some barrels were tearing them apart. The reason is thought to be the very thin jackets used.

The Broughton barrels have shot these thin jacketed bullets very well from some of the early results we have gotten from Shawn Carlock and his 338 AM.

My two 338 AMs and one 338 Kahn with Lilja barrels would not shoot them, sliced the jackets right along the land centers on every shot.

As such, Richard has been testing some heavier jackets which will range from around just under 30 thou to 40 thou in jacket thickness if wanted. THese are similiar to the heavy jackets Richards original 300 and 350 gr ULDRBBTs were made on and they shot extremely well in all of my rifles with the Lilja barrels.

Not only will the heavier jackets help the bullets survive the launch speeds but they will also help on the terminal end of things as well as the thin jacketed bullets I would suspect would pop like a water balloon on big game. These heavier jackets should prove very stout on big game but the aluminum tips should promote expansion at any range really.

Testing the old designs, that was the problem with the SMK and ULD RBBT at ranges much past 1000 yards, no real expansion unless you get up to the 338 AM performance level.

With the aluminum tips, expansion should be consistant out to the mile range pretty comfortably I would predict.

From talking with Richard, and looking at the bullets I have in shop and have been testing, the 300 gr tipped bullet is longer then the original 350 gr ULD RBBT.

A 270 or 280 gr tipped bullet will be significantly longer then the SMK with a dramatically sharper ogive profile.

BC predictions, well, this will only start another fight so lets just say they should run head to head with the best 50 cal bullets out there but that has yet to be proven.

I have also tested some 30 cal versions and those are being worked on as well. The ones I have are 215 and 220 gr and make the 240 gr SMK look silly.

All in all, once the minor bugs are worked out, these bullets will offer a ballistic advantage over conventional bullets that will have to be seen to believe.

Only with the long solid VLD design bullets would you be able to rivel the BC of these pills and then they will not compare with the new aluminum tipped Wildcat Bullets as far as barrel to barrel consistancy performance.

This is cutting edge stuff Richard is doing. Truely amazing and will take us to new levels. Just running some preliminary numbers it looks like 3000 yards may be realistic with super sonic velocity out of rounds like my 338 AM. That is something no one has been able to achieve yet with conventional bullets, let alone a lead core bullet.

Richard is setting up to offer these in all calibers from 25 up to 50 cal I believe.

These will also be used in my soon to come 375 AM and 458 AM.

They will not be cheap but they will be significantly cheaper then the LRB bullets which will be the only real ballistic compeition for these bullets and then accuracy will not even be remotely as consistant as the Wildcats.

More to come very soon. I will be testing some of the heavy jacketed 338s tomorrow if the weather holds out. Will post my results.

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

And........... Smaller sized cases with Richards' new bullets could easily equal or surpass larger cases with the best of last years' bullets. This may put a dimple in the 408 case wildcatting business........

James

Am hoping he creates something in the range of a 169.5gr rbbt groundhog bullet for my 308win. that will have good expansion out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.