New Light Weight Build Plan - Ti & Carbon 6.5 SAUM 4S

I really like the recoil pad. I got the medium .91". I have not shot the rifle yet, I had to send the scope back. I did spend a bunch of time behind it leveling the scope. Time will tell how durable they are, but they seem pretty tough for as light as they are. They are only 25$ too. It is a cheap way to save a little weight. They seem soft enough to be effective. I will definitely be using them on future builds.

Are they easy to install and grind to fit? It looks like they have one generic footprint to mate up to the stock. I'm assuming it's glued on, and then ground to be flush to the stock? Definitely interested in going this route. I think I'll pick one up and drop it off with my smith, and have him cut off the factory one and install the Hastings. I'm assuming he'll know how so I don't butcher it.

I went with something similar. I used a standard 700 action at the beginning and right now i sent the rifle to my smith so he would install the proof barrel on a 700 Ti action with a switchlug. It should be back in around 2 weeks.

Rem 700 Action
proof sendero lite 1:8
manners EH-1
Snowy mountain Break
m-5 DBM
rifle basic trigger
ARC rings
EGW HD rail
Swaro Z3 3.5-10X42

The new upgrades will be:
Rem 700 Ti Action
Jewel trigger
Switchlug recoil lug and a bunch of barrels!!!!!!!
7mm rem mag
28 Nosler throated for 195gr
TBD

Looks like a great rifle! I would have done 28 Nosler if I didn't have a .300 Win Mag already that shoots great with the 215's. I had a ton of 140 VLD's, F210M primers, and H1000 so settled on the SAUM to take advantage of my large inventory and not have to plus up on another setup. Some day I'll have a 28 Nosler, I'm convinced.

Are they easy to install and grind to fit? It looks like they have one generic footprint to mate up to the stock. I'm assuming it's glued on, and then ground to be flush to the stock? Definitely interested in going this route. I think I'll pick one up and drop it off with my smith, and have him cut off the factory one and install the Hastings. I'm assuming he'll know how so I don't butcher it.

I appears to fit like most recoil pads with 2 screws. I had the smith (Kevin at MCR) fit the recoil pad. He inletted the stock and painted it as well. I have never installed a grind to fit pad. I would be willing to try, but didn't want to screw up the stock and he was doing everything else.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.