New Knight mountaineer vs knight disc extreme

I have been shooting BH209 in 3 Knights(LRH, MH & Disc Elite) since it was introduced. Early on I had a few misfires etc. I made several changes: Used CCI 209M primers, installed Knights vented Breech Plug and regularly cleaned the flash channel with a drill bit to remove carbon build up. This greatly improved reliability. Last year I installed bare primer conversion breech plugs made by Lehigh in all 3 guns and switched to Federal 209A primers and Harvesters Black Crush rib sabots. My go to load is 110 grs of BH209 and Hornady's 300 gr SST bullet or TC's 300 gr Shock Wave which is made by Hornady. At last count I'd fired close to 300 rounds using that combo with no failures. I have learned that you need to be consistent with the pressure used in seating the round and don't use sabots that seat with very little pressure on the ramrod. See BH 209's web site.

If you go to their websites you will get better info than I can tell you. The BH209 is not corrosive and gives better velocities. That is why I wanted to use it. The 777 gives good velocity, but is mildly corrosive and does leave a crud ring in my gun. I'll need to use my Magnetospeed next time out to see exactly how it does.

I know this is an old post but felt the need to comment about BH209. Don't get the idea that BH209 is not corrosive because it seems to shoot cleaner. It is just as corrosive or nearly so as black powder or pyredex. Clean your gun daily unless you like the look of rust in your barrel.

I know this is an old post but felt the need to comment about BH209. Don't get the idea that BH209 is not corrosive because it seems to shoot cleaner. It is just as corrosive or nearly so as black powder or pyredex. Clean your gun daily unless you like the look of rust in your barrel.

Respectfully I have to disagree......

Its no where near as corrosive as BP or pyrodex, not even close. Now BH does contain an extremely small amount of sulfer and I believe magnesium but, its no where near as corrosive as ANY other muzzleloader propellant. Until I went custom, I shot BH exclusively since I could get my hands on the first bottle when it came out. I've shot many thousands of rounds from different Encore platform rifles. Of those Encore platform rifles, ALL required fouling shots (hunting or target), as I may harvest multiple whitetail in one setting and, those whitetail could be at 70yds or 200yds. That said, I've fouled the bores with two primers, then sent two rounds to the berm on my range the day before whitetail season. After sending those two rounds, I'd load the third which would be my hunting load. Unless I harvested, those rifles would remain loaded from Nov. 14th through Dec. 1st, when I'd shoot that load and more, switching to long range targets. Clean the rifle's and repeat the process for the 10 day muzzleloader season. NEVER, not a single time, did any of my rifles have a speck of rust, inside or out. This was hunting during possible downpour rain one day and 20° and now the next.
Putting a cold rifle or wet rifle into a case, or bringing a cold rifle inside where its warm does more damage. At the end of each hunt, my rifle is wiped down and a light coating of oil is applied to the entire outside. When its cold, the case stays outside and remains cold. The rifle is put into the cold case before being taken into the garage. The cold case shields the rifle from the warmth of the garage like insulation. It warms gradually over night.

In no way am I saying BH can not be corrosive but, its no where near ANY other muzzleloader propellant for corrosiveness. Each owner should do what he/she feels is best for his/her rifle.

Encore,

I respectfully appreciate the feedback. What I based my statement on is the fact that I treated my new TC impact last year much the same you did with your muzzleloader thinking that BH209 was non-corrosive and I ended up with a lot of rust in my barrel. My impact isn't a stainless barrel and NC muzzloader season isn't all that long but it can be very humid here in NE NC in the fall so maybe that had something to do with it I don't know but I didn't want other's to think they could treat BH209 as if it were smokeless powder cause it ain't.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.