New Hunter from Northwest Colorado

armageddon144

Hi guys, I stumbled onto this site doing a google search and now I'm here to stay. :) I'm living in Steamboat Springs, CO and will be 17 years old, well, tommorow actually! Then my dad will let me go out into the woods and hunt by myself. Thats when the fun begins!

I'm new to real long range hunting, but I'm really excited about learning more. This site looks like a great source of information too. Hopefully I'll be able to top my previous distance record by coyote hunting over the summer. My longest confirmed kill so far is about 75 yards on a big 4x4 mulie so I don't really have experience in distance shooting unfortunately.

My current setup is a Remington 700 SPS in .308 Winchester topped with a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 scope and Butler Creek caps. I replaced the factory stock with an H-S Precision Police sniper stock, installed a Harris 6-9" S series spring loaded bi-pod, and strapped on a Blackhawk Hawktex Tactical Rifle Cheek Rest. I can get a picture in a few days once the stock is finished being installed. I can't wait to get out in the field and put it all to use! gun)

Welcome to Long Range Hunting.gun)Good to have you join us.

Get your dad into long range with you and then you'll have a spotter.:rolleyes:

That 308 will serve you well until you get really serious. When you get the pics you can get them posted so we can see your 308. Let us know how it shoots and how you progress. Feel free to ask questions and join right in.;)

Welcome. If at your age, I had only had the input from the smart guys on this site! light bulb

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys. I'll see what I can do about getting my dad into long range hunting but he isn't as into it as I am. He's got his 7mm Rem Mag to just hold over the animal for those long distance shots. I have to be more presice with my little .308win. I'll be getting some pictures of my rifle ASAP.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.