New Hornady .30 225gr Match Bullet

Josh Wayner

i picked up the new 2011 Hornady catalog, and did a doubletake when i saw that they are now offering a 225gr .308 cal match bullet with a bc of .670(!). i have been looking for an excuse to buy/build a more powerful long range rig, and this bullet is my ticket i think. what are some opinions as to which cartridge i should be chambering my new girl in? i already have some ideas, i just want some out of the box possiblities. lightbulb

hey think you need to read the post at snipershide before you go and buy some.from what I have been reading the new 225gn bullet is for a big 30 cal.but not saying it cannot be pushed out of a 300wm or some to the likes of it.just seems to be a big 30 cal bullet.

for me I will stay with the 208gn A-max.that is if can ever get my hands on some.

It's not on the Hornady website yet. Is it an Amax? if not, what is it?

225grains is a big 30cal bullet. 300RUM...that's the ticket for the bullet.

Last edited:
i picked up the new 2011 Hornady catalog, and did a doubletake when i saw that they are now offering a 225gr .308 cal match bullet with a bc of .670(!). i have been looking for an excuse to buy/build a more powerful long range rig, and this bullet is my ticket i think. what are some opinions as to which cartridge i should be chambering my new girl in? i already have some ideas, i just want some out of the box possiblities. lightbulb

Can you post the link to the thread on snipershide? I did a quick search and could not find it.

Thanks.

Trying to wrap my mind around why this is a BIG .30-caliber bullet? Why use a 300RUM and not the .308Win? Or even the 300Whisper?!?!?!

I fire 240grSMK's from a 300Whisper and fire 210grVLD's from a 308Win...guess my rifles are broken, cause they can group these projectiles just fine. The 240grSMK's are making it to 400yards from the little 300Whisper, yeah they drop but velocity only started out at about 1000fps(but a drop chart is all that is needed for that problem), and the 210grVLD's can make it as far as I want to shoot 'em! And they are leaving the Savage 10FP with 22" barrel......

Then again, if 'internet myths' are what we are trying to start, then by all means................this bullet should only be fired from rifles that start with the words Ultra Wizz Bangin' Magnum Super Magnum. Anything less won't stabilize them.

Scott

Trying to wrap my mind around why this is a BIG .30-caliber bullet? Why use a 300RUM and not the .308Win? Or even the 300Whisper?!?!?!

I fire 240grSMK's from a 300Whisper and fire 210grVLD's from a 308Win...guess my rifles are broken, cause they can group these projectiles just fine. The 240grSMK's are making it to 400yards from the little 300Whisper, yeah they drop but velocity only started out at about 1000fps(but a drop chart is all that is needed for that problem), and the 210grVLD's can make it as far as I want to shoot 'em! And they are leaving the Savage 10FP with 22" barrel......

Then again, if 'internet myths' are what we are trying to start, then by all means................this bullet should only be fired from rifles that start with the words Ultra Wizz Bangin' Magnum Super Magnum. Anything less won't stabilize them.
Scott

Surely you've notice that this Long Range Hunting, the effective hunting range on a 308 far less than a 300RUM with the same bullets. Ya, you can pitch them a heck of a long ways accurately but they should have to have some kahunas when they get there if game is the target.
There are a lot of guys that shoot farther than a bullet out 300 Whisper would be in the air let alone be effective on game. Effective on game at long range is the goal not only targets or steel, take hunting out of the picture and then I could see your point.

I think its under the 1000 yard or bullets and barrels forum.or try the search engine.but you may have used that already.and no canot post it here.do not know how to do that yet.SORRY

I've been using Hornady's 225gn Match bullets in my 300RUM. With 85 grains of retumbo I'm getting about 2830 fps at the muzzle and 28 MOA drop @ 1000 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.