New here! distance hunting rifle, weatherby vanguard accuguard vs Remington 700 lr

Hey guys, new here but long time follower of the sight. Live out here on a fairly flat part of Central Montana, and am looking for a rifle that is long range capable, not terribly heavy, and won't break the bank. I have narrowed it down to these two rifles, after a slew of different small preferences. Going with 300 wm, and am fairly solid in that caliber choice. Always open to suggestions, on both calibers and rifles, although I'm pretty picky on them. This rifle will be used mainly for elk, and also shooting out to about a max of 1400-1500 M. Not that I'm expiriance do at that distance quite yet, but have been affective with my target 280 AI out to 1225 M. Like that action on the weatherby a little better, as well as the trigger, but not as many options as the remi. About $300 more for the weatherby.

Hey 98, I am with you on the 300wm. I spend a lot of time in MT as my daughter lives near Bozeman. Killed a whitetail Thanksgiving morning with her hubby & he killed a 4x4 Mulie as well.
Welcome aboard, Thanks Kirk

I just bought a 700 LR in a 300 win mag. I took it out today to run a ladder test with IMR 4350. 68 gr under a Hornady 178 A-Max grouped under an inch with 4 of the 5 shots touching in a cluster. I also loaded up some 208's with a middle of the range 4350 load and they performed better than I expected for just grabbing a random load charge. So far I'm happy with it . The trigger is the weak link. I have mine adjusted down to 2 3/4 according to my Wheeler gauge , but it still feels heavy. I'll probably buy a different trigger and have a break installed.

I've never handled the Weatherby so I can't comment on it. Good luck in your decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.