New Guy

bulldog1

Hello Guys,
Recently found this site while looking for information on handgun calibers for the 14" Contender, Encore or 15" BF falling block pistol. I'm interested in a caliber to hunt coyotes & deer without too much fur damage on the coyotes. I've narrowed it down to the Encore in .243 or 6mmBR or possibly the BF in their 6.5mmBR. The 6.5 looks great for deer but I'm not sure if there are any loads suitable for coyotes. Since 1986 have used a TC contender in .35 Rem for all my deer hunting and the either the Encore or BF pistol will replace it. If anyone has experience loading the 6.5mmBR it would be great hearing from you. We have more coyotes in upstate NY than most people realize.
bulldog1

Welcome to the site. I only have experiance with the 243 for coyotes. Imo they are not great if you want to save the pelt. Last year I shot several with my 243 and a 5 inch entrance hole was the norm. I use 55gr nosler balistic tips shooting 3800 fps. Every dog went down but the damage was massive. Maybe with a heavier, slower bullet it work well.

thanks Luke, I guess I expected that answer. My current older frame Contender with the adjustable trigger will work if I use a 223 barrel for coyotes and the 35 Rem works good for white tails. My 35 barrel is a bit fussy with head spacing but works fine with reloads. The rimmed case of the 7 x 30 Waters has slightly better ballistics and less head space problems so it may replace the 35 after the current reloads are used up. Thanks for your feed back.
bulldog1

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.