new guy

tinyhead

hey i just joined about 15 minutes ago. im new to long range shooting as a sport it all began last november when my brother killed at whitetail at 350 yrds, i decided to make it a competition. like i said im new to the art. i sold my savage 110 .270 and purchased a remington 700 vtr in .308 my trigger is set at 3.5 pounds with the vortex diamondback 4-12x40 so far i am pleased with my set up have only put 120 rounds thru it and am shooting nickel size groups of three at 273 yrds ( the end of my home range). if anyone has advice for me please share. ps. very limited budget.

I'm a new guy too and just picked up a Rem 700 in .308 as well...

Are you thinking you might reload? I am, I just bought some dies, primers, powder measure and a few other things.

Sounds like your shooting some pretty decent groups already!

I currently have a friend that reloads for my i dont know the amount of powder that he uses but the bullet right now is a sierra match 180 grain with federal cases the powder brand is alliant. before you start reloading you need to determine the twist in your barrel (most likely 1:12) and then the recommended grain for that twist. thats the best place to start.
i love my group but have since discovered my rifle doesnt fit me that great so i have to adjust the scope distance for proper eye relief and in turn re-sight but im confident that it wont take much. best advice i have is read all the posts you can on here related to what you want and have it helped me alot. oh let me know if you find somewhere i can shoot 500+ yrs near central oklahoma. my range ends at 275
good luck
respectfully
tinyhead

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts