new guy

deek1984

im new to the internet but ive seen alot of ppl helping others out on here and many other places good or bad. so im giving it a try.i have a herters j9 30-06 it had an old 7x9 red field scope on it. at the time i got the gun it was a nail driver at 100 yds. i have recently bought a bushnell 4-16x40 scope trying to get a better picture out to 200-300 yrds away. ive been trying to bore sight it at about 20 yrds then moving to paper at 50. i have the left to right down pat its right on but im still shooting about a foot above center, and if i did it right im bottomed out on my adjustments. ??? i dont know if im backwards or what im doing wrong or if i just need to change the mounts. i do know that the rear is taller then the front where the rings mount to but that i belive is because the rear of the action is lower than the front. it seems to me if id bring the front of the scope up id have more room for adjustment. ?? any help is welcome.

Yes, shimming the scope will get you the adjustment you made need. Just don't use too much under scope as it will bend the scope tube causing possible damage the internal parts. I have known a couple of guys that need alot of shims and put some under the action then fine tuned it shimming scope.
IMO, i would get a new set of rings and bases since you bought a new scope for it. Start from there, it may solve the problem right off the bat.

i bought new rings afrer i bought the new scope simply because the old ones would not fit on the scope. but yes i think i will try new bases first before i try anything else maybe different rings too. i dont really like the idea of shimming a scope. but if everything else fails can a guy put his shims under the base so as to not compermise the scope at all.?? just wondering.

Before you get too crazy, make sure the thick end or the thick base is at the rear of the rifle. I've seen people mount bases backwards. Idk if its possible on your action but make sure to check

yeah its in the rear the mounting holes are even different on it. the bases are the same ones that were on the gun when i bought it so im gonna try new bases since i have new scope and new rings. it looks to me as if the difference is to great like if you are supposed to use a small in the front with a medium in the rear, or a medium in the front and a large in the rear. it looks to me like they had used a small in the front and a large in the rear.??? but i dont know for sure or not but figured id give it a try.

Hi,
I would suggest either shimming it or new bases. IF neither works take it into a gunsmith. It may just need some basic work don on the basses or mounts to level them.

Also, i just remembered a friend of mine was having some problems. We were shooting at the target at different ranges trying to figure out why it was still hittig high when we had it as low as it would go. He took it into a gunsmith and had him take a look at it. Turns out that it was so low that the bullets were hitting the ground a few feet from the target and bouncing up and hitting it. Go figure! Anyway, just wrote to let you know and that you may be having the same problem. Check for marks in the ground between you and your target.

Last edited:
From reading your post, it sounds like you are a foot high at 50 yds. We have no info regarding the ammo you are using, or the velocity of your bullets, but have you tried shooting it at 100 or 200 yds? You might be closer to the center of your target than you think - depending on the drop of your bullet.

How much total travel does your Bushnell 4-16x40 scope have?

First thing is take it to someone who knows what they are doing. If someone sold you the rings, they didn't know. A close look should solve the problem. Something is not right and you don't know where to start. The advice to shim will do you no good if you are flying blind. Too much chance of screwing up. If you know someone knowledgeable, (not a blowhard), take it to them. If not, a GOOD gunshop or smith is in order.

im using hornady 150 gr sst 3080 fps
100yds 200yds 300yds 400yrds 500yrds
+1.4" 0.0" -6.4" -18.9" -38.4" this is what the box tells me anyway. im using this for my coyote loads. im not claiming to know alot but i did take the scope off my 30-06 and put it on my .22 and got it right on after about ten shots having to crank the scope way up which in turn made it about center of the scopes travel. this weekend i am going to shoot again like ppl have suggested at 100 and 200 yrds and see where im at. i am just hoping since the scope has center cross plus four other spots for other ranges that i could get a 50 100 150 200 and 250 out of it. but ill be able to tell more tomorrow after shooting. i have yet to look at the travel of my scope yet either ill to that tomorrow too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts