New Guy, Starting out

JP Hunter

Hi,
Wanted to say how grate this site is. Found the site two months ago and have learned so much. First got the long rang bug years ago on a hunting tripe in the Trinity Alps Wilderness in CA. We were 6 miles in when we see three guys dropping off the ridge. One had a 25" 4x4 and another with a 15" 5x5, Big Black tails. When we picked our jaws off the ground we went to ask for advice. They have hunted there for 14+ years, He said the key was to go high and shoot long. Out to 900yds! That week
we saw bucks but they were out of our rang.
So I looked for some info. I found the Best of the West TV show. The host Jon Burns had a shooting system I liked. I had high hopes when I got his How To videos. It has good info, but a little over my head on the drop data part. He was using a 7mm mag I think. So I have searched for guns set up like that. But I felt like it would be cheating to buy one with the work done, and I wanted to help family and friend setup.
Well here gos the most repeated question "What Gun?" I have done some homework and see this site likes Rem 700 actions. I like what I read on the RUM's, 300 or 338? Will use on the black tails here in CA and elk. Distances of 300yd to 1000yds when I'm ready. Budget is not much of a problem "SENGAL". I have played with my cousins 300 Win mag. Had a drop comp. made by Kenton Industries for factory ammo. Not Good enough. I have a Bushnell 1500, I will be upgrading. I have some basic reloading stuff. Would like a good reloading and shooting books or video. I live in the Redding CA area and need a place to shoot long too. I know a lot of writing , but after reading all the posts I am excited to get started. I appreciate all the help I can get.
Thank you!:D

If your planning to build a custom gun and you don't already have an action to build on I would highly reccomend that you go ahead and start off with a custom action from Stiller , Borden or so on , you will be very close to the same price as if you bought a Rem 700 and had it built up right.

as for your caliber , seeing how you mentioned Elk out to 1000yds , I would recomend at least a 300 Rem Ultra Mag , shoot a 200gr Accu-Bond and you will be covered for just about everything in north america at long range. The RUM's would be the cheapest way to go , if you want a little step up in performance you can step up to the Lapua case , improve it and use either 7mm , 308 or 338 cal bullets and you will have a winning set up.

I would agree, if your thinking about elk out to 1000 yards, a 300 RUM is the min I would recommend and a good 338 would be even better on these heavy critters at these ranges.

A 338 RUM, 338 Edge or 338 Lapua would all work very well and offer you all the performance you will need for this range and in easy to load for rifles.

If money is not an option, I would certainly go with a top end custom receiver, McMillan A-5 stock, quality barrel, 28 to 30" range of at least #7 contour. Fluted if weight is a concern. This will not be a light rifle but a 1000 yard rifle needs to be designed for that purpose.

These rounds are more then needed for blacktails at these ranges but dead is dead. That is never a bad thing. Undergunned is the real sin here and if your hunting elk, better to go bigger then smaller. With the new muzzle brakes we use today, recoil is not an issue with anything you use.

Kirby Allen(50)

Sorry Wrong spot

I just realized I put this in the wrong forum:eek:. Thanks for the help. I looked at some of those actions and they look grate. Not sure if I have the tools or knowledge to make a custom rig myself. How hard is it to put one together?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts