new guy needs advice

kelt

hello,i started hunting mule deer in north west colo,and there is not a tree in sight so i started practicing shooting my ruger m77 with a leopld vx3 10x4x3.5 i shoot hornady 30.06 interbond 165 light mag i practice at 200,300and 400yrds i am comfortable out to 300 but not out to 400 yet. my first year i shot a not deer at 270yrd,last month i shot a resl nice deer at 340 yrds that was the longes shot on a deer i have ever taken ,i live in michigan and if you shoot 100yrds where i hunt that is long.I wanted to put together a long rang rifle,but last night i wached a video Building the ultimate tactical or varmint rifle,that type of building is way out of my capabilities.I also have a rem 8mm mag with a red field low pro scope,would this gun have to be reworked or can i put a gun together on my own that shoots very well ,i was thinking about the 7mm mag,i also have a shilo sharps long rang express in 45.110 nice gun ,i also have realized that i need to get into reloading.thanks i would post my mulie pics but i dont know how.

Kelt, welcome.

I live across the pond in WI. Same issues with short shots. You really have to shop to find a hunting spot with longer ranges available.

Here is a brand new thread on How To Post A Picture

Good luck.

starting out

kelt- you are lucky; you live in a place where you can shoot a lot of deer i believe. the elk i shot this year was with a 30-06 topped by a 3.5X10 leup at 26 yards first tag in 17 years. the easiest thing (in my opinion) is to get a remington sendero. my brother and my friends have several in various calibers. adjust the trigger and have a muzzle brake installed. 300 win has been the easiest and most forgiving but ALL have shot real good. put a good 4.5-14; or 6.5-20 and you are set. i don't know what to say about the rem 700 8mm mag . is it a bdl? the remington 700 can be re-barreled ( with KRIEGER OR BROUGHTON) and it will be a world beater.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.