New Guy From Utah

BlackWhiskey

Hey gents,

I'm new to the forum, and to hunting, but not to long range shooting. I currently live in Utah and I'm a senior attending the University of Utah.

Hunting Experience:
This year will be my first year hunting and I drew out for the general season buck deer hunt (unit 17b/c I think). I am also planning on purchasing a doe antelope and spike elk tag this year as well. Any suggestions on which units I should buy would be much appreciated, as I am still not super familiar with the geography of Utah, particularly the good hunting areas.

I grew up on the coast of southern California and did not brought around hunting at all, so my knowledge is minimal. I hope to learn a lot from participating in this forum. I welcome all advice and am eager to learn.

Shooting Experience:
I served with 3rd Battalion 7th Marines from 2004-2008, and part of that time was with 3/7 Scout Sniper Platoon. I was medically retired in 2008 due to complications from wounds received in combat.

I worked for a time with Special Operations Training and Consulting as a precision rifle instructor, and also worked for The Counter Terrorism Institute as a precision rifle instructor, combat pistol instructor, and combat carbine instructor.

I regularly compete in precision rifle competitions throughout the state. I also run the Utah Cheapskate .22LR tactical precision rifle match, which has been a great way to get to know new and seasoned shooters.

Thank you for reading,

Cory

Corey, welcome aboard.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice!!!!

Don't worry about the lack of hunting experience. Everyone here started out the same way. Some improved, some didn't.

I know nothing about Utah hunting so will offer no advice. (Unusual for me:rolleyes:)

Some one will chime in and give you a leg up.

We owe you at least that.

If you are ever in Southeast Idaho give me a holler. I could use some pointers.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts