New guy from missouri

BCarroll85

Hey guys I live just south of Kansas City not far for the Missouri Kansas line. I've been signed up for a little while now and finally decided to say hi. I mainly hunt white tails and yotes here in MO but have been traveling west for some hunts the last 5 years. Been to Montana, South Dakota and Nebraska. Hunted Montana for deer South Dakota for prairie dogs and Nebraska for antelope. I love it out west and started reading and researching on here to build a new rifle for deer and elk and a cpl more p dog rifles:D. Btw my farthest kill on big game is a muley at 350 with a t/c icon 300 win mag I just sold to build the long range deer and elk rifle and 530 on pdogs with a rem 700 sps varmint 204. I know it isn't long range compared to some of the stuff I've seen on here but plan on stretching my range here in the future. Still undecided on my big game rig my buddies almost have me talked into a 300 RUM or a may stick with another win mag anyway that's a little about me and my hunting.

Welcome. I am just up the road an hour west of St. Joe. I have a modle 70 300wm that was my first rifle I ever bought. the man at the gun store told me it could kill anything in north America and at 19, that sounded really apealing to me. I finally ported it a few years back, but a decient trigger in it and I have killed a whitetail at just shy of 500 yards (laser said 489). I have having Hart build me a 6.5mm-06 that should be comming my way in the next 30 days or so. I am really excided, this is my first build. its on a rem700 action. I have come to the conclusion that shot placement is almost everyting. bigger has not been better for me because of recoil. since porting and practicing (250 rounds or so) I am much better but I chose the 6.5mm because of the bullet selection and I have read links where guys have killed elk at 1000 yards with a 6.5mm. Having said that, the 338 Lapua is really calling my name but I sure dont have the $$ to be buying, let alone shooting, one of them. good luck.

Ya I'm kicking around building a 6.5x284 instead or both :D gotta wait for some funds. my rear end went out of my truck right when I sold the win mag so priorities come first. It doesn't help either when my buddy owns a gunshop that a hang around on my days off. He's gotta cpl of savage 111's and a 110 used sitting there cheap and a rem 700 in 270 thinking about getting one of the savages to build off of.

ya the 6.5MMx284 is a good round for around here. you can buy good brass with out sizing which is a real plus. we all know about short funds... Ive been saving for this rifle for at least 5 years. seems like there is as much in the reloading equipment and a spoting scope as there is in the gun some time. I started off buying brass and then a stock and then a trigger and then a rem700 in .25-06 and used it a few years. now I finally have it in NY getting a barrel! I am just using a 5-24X50 burris fullfield II until I save the $$ for a nightforce. that will be another year or two... maybe when I am in the nursing home I will have a complete package!! Ive been hearing stuff about the savage action, before it came out, the Rem700 was the standard action to build off because of the construction. Good thing is that you can start diailing shots to 5 or 6 hundred yards with a factory rifle and get some practice while you are saving the $$ Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.