New gunstock...

Teutonic

Hello all, I ordered a Great American Gunstock walnut stock for a sporter barrel long action remington. Mr. Pohl sent me the stock, "fancy," grade for $150. He reported it had been left over from the fire they had. The wood has nice figure and I am pleased with its appearance. However, I was a little suprised at the amount of sanding the stock would need. It looks like a roving drill bit was used to give the stock its shape. It has small dips/chatter marks externally. They are sanding out nicely, but it is taking time. I am not upset, as I think it would be a nice project. I think it is a fair price with the quality of the wood. Any tips or has anyone been through this before?

Patience , patience and more patience , don't go and get in a hurry with a nice piece of wood , work o it for a few days and if you find yourself getting "bothered" with the progress set it aside and take a little break from it.

You can rush good moon shine , good women , and good wood. An Ol boy with a few huge old Walnut trees told me that , he promised me an 8" long section from one on day to make same stock from

Like James said... take your time and be patient.

When my stocks come out of the stock machine, I spend about 20-30 minutes cleaning them up with a file. Yes, a file. That takes care of all the big stuff. Then I block sand them with 80 grit, then 100. By the time they are ready for door, I have about an hour into them to make them look somewhat presentable.

Using a file for the big stuff will reduce your sanding time.

You are right about the file. I wasted time with fine sand paper. I will in the future do file, then coarse, medium, fine, ultrafine progression of sandpaper.

By the way Joel, it is good to hear from you. I have read a lot of good things about your benchrifle type stocks.

Last edited:
Teutonic,

Good hearing from you also. Thanks for the comments on my stocks, it's always nice to help when it comes to the "wood".

These guys sure keep me on my toes. LOL!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.