New Gun won't eject

baydog

Hello. I bought my son a new Tri-Star G2 youth model 20 ga. semi auto and we shot it for the first time today. We shot a box of Winchester universal target loads through it and it hasn't ejected the first shell out. I still got the box it came in and the instruction manual but I swear i thought their was another little book that came with it but i can't find it. The instruction manual doesn't say anything about a break in method...I think I remember the other book saying that you had to shoot a box of heavy loads through it to break the gun in. Has anyone heard of this before and does anyone think this might be the reason it won't eject?. It won't even try to eject. Put one in the chamber and 2 in the magazine and when we shoot we have to open and close the chamber manually to get the next shell in. Took the barrel off and looks like it's got plenty of oil and the piston slides free up and down the tube and the piston ring is there...Any ideals??..Thanks for your time and any help

baydog

Hello. I bought my son a new Tri-Star G2 youth model 20 ga. semi auto and we shot it for the first time today. We shot a box of Winchester universal target loads through it and it hasn't ejected the first shell out. I still got the box it came in and the instruction manual but I swear i thought their was another little book that came with it but i can't find it. The instruction manual doesn't say anything about a break in method...I think I remember the other book saying that you had to shoot a box of heavy loads through it to break the gun in. Has anyone heard of this before and does anyone think this might be the reason it won't eject?. It won't even try to eject. Put one in the chamber and 2 in the magazine and when we shoot we have to open and close the chamber manually to get the next shell in. Took the barrel off and looks like it's got plenty of oil and the piston slides free up and down the tube and the piston ring is there...Any ideals??..Thanks for your time and any help

baydog
Also I had never heard of a Tri-Star before, until I bought this gun. I bought it for a couple of reasons. The first thing is times are a little hard right now and this gun was in my price range after pricing other guns. I chose the semi auto because my boy is a little fellow and has trouble with the weight of heavier guns, this gun ways about 4 1/2 pounds and i was worried he wouldn't have the strength to use a pump gun and a single shot youth gun is as heavy as this gun is or heavier, also this Tri-Star has a 5 year warranty which is as good as any other type of shot guns i looked at. Good thing cause I might have to use it.. I know it's not a well known high end gun just hoping to get some input as far as if anyone has ever had this problem with any new semi auto gun...Thanks for your time and any help

baydog

The user manual is online here http://www.tristararms.com/ckfinder/userfiles/files/tristar%20semiauto%20owner%27s%20manual.pdf

On page 10:
"Ensure muzzle is pointed in a safe direction before placing finger on trigger.
After firing, the empty cartridge will be automatically ejected through the ejection port. Be sure all observers are clear of the path of ejection, as the empty cartridges are thrown out with considerable force and could cause injury."

OK, re-read your report and it sounds like it is not cycling. Since it ejected fine when you cycled the bolt by hand, this has nothing to do with the ejector at all. This is totally a gas system question. Maybe they forgot to drill the gas port in the barrel ? Look at the exploded diagram on page 19 and verify that you are not missing any O rings or any of the parts. There should be powder residue on the gas piston, if not maybe they did mess up the gas port or its location.

The user manual is online here http://www.tristararms.com/ckfinder/userfiles/files/tristar%20semiauto%20owner%27s%20manual.pdf

On page 10:
"Ensure muzzle is pointed in a safe direction before placing finger on trigger.
After firing, the empty cartridge will be automatically ejected through the ejection port. Be sure all observers are clear of the path of ejection, as the empty cartridges are thrown out with considerable force and could cause injury."

OK, re-read your report and it sounds like it is not cycling. Since it ejected fine when you cycled the bolt by hand, this has nothing to do with the ejector at all. This is totally a gas system question. Maybe they forgot to drill the gas port in the barrel ? Look at the exploded diagram on page 19 and verify that you are not missing any O rings or any of the parts. There should be powder residue on the gas piston, if not maybe they did mess up the gas port or its location.
Thanks westcliffe01 for your help. You're absolutely right it's not cycling. The piston does have residue on it and the piston steel ring is there and the o-ring is up inside the cylinder...Everything looks good and works free i just can't get it to cycle like you said..I don't get it and haven't been able to get a hold of anybody from tri-star yet. I did find a little orange tag that said that there IS a break-in period and to shoot at least 20 rounds of heavy loads through it and I haven't done that but I'm on my way to get a box of heavy loads now to try it so if i ever do get a hold of tri-star i can say "I DID THAT"...who knows it might work...Thanks for your help and I'll let you know what happens,

baydog

Thanks westcliffe01 for your help. You're absolutely right it's not cycling. The piston does have residue on it and the piston steel ring is there and the o-ring is up inside the cylinder...Everything looks good and works free i just can't get it to cycle like you said..I don't get it and haven't been able to get a hold of anybody from tri-star yet. I did find a little orange tag that said that there IS a break-in period and to shoot at least 20 rounds of heavy loads through it and I haven't done that but I'm on my way to get a box of heavy loads now to try it so if i ever do get a hold of tri-star i can say "I DID THAT"...who knows it might work...Thanks for your help and I'll let you know what happens,

baydog
Hey westcliffe01 wanted to let you know that i went out and bought a box of the heaviest load ammo i could find and the shot the gun shot them perfect. Only got a chance to shoot 3 round to see if the gun would shoot them. I'll shoot the whole box tomorrow and then try the light loads and see what happens but she shot the heavy loads perfect...Thanks for your help.gun)

baydog

Anytime I get a brand new weapon, the first thing I do is field strip it and look for sharp edges on the bolt and receiver which might cause drag and wear when cycling the action. I will knock off all those burrs with a needle file or a honing stone and make sure all the sharp edges are broken (don't touch anything that is trigger or sear related), Then clean everything spotless and re-oil and reassemble. If any rough spots remain when cycling by hand, investigate where it is coming from and try to clean up and polish the guilty surface. Spring guides are a good example that are easy to polish up and the action will feel a lot smoother afterward.

I personally do not believe in letting rough surfaces "wear in", to me that is a half done manufacturing job and one can do a much better job of smoothing it out than simply cycling ammo through it will. Buying a set of honing stones at Brownells is not that expensive. If in doubt just get 400 - 600 grit since one is really trying to smooth things out and not remove a bunch of material. For cylindrical parts, 600, 800 and 1200 grade sandpaper is the best and you can spin the part in a cordless drill.

Anytime I get a brand new weapon, the first thing I do is field strip it and look for sharp edges on the bolt and receiver which might cause drag and wear when cycling the action. I will knock off all those burrs with a needle file or a honing stone and make sure all the sharp edges are broken (don't touch anything that is trigger or sear related), Then clean everything spotless and re-oil and reassemble. If any rough spots remain when cycling by hand, investigate where it is coming from and try to clean up and polish the guilty surface. Spring guides are a good example that are easy to polish up and the action will feel a lot smoother afterward.

I personally do not believe in letting rough surfaces "wear in", to me that is a half done manufacturing job and one can do a much better job of smoothing it out than simply cycling ammo through it will. Buying a set of honing stones at Brownells is not that expensive. If in doubt just get 400 - 600 grit since one is really trying to smooth things out and not remove a bunch of material. For cylindrical parts, 600, 800 and 1200 grade sandpaper is the best and you can spin the part in a cordless drill.
Yea you're right. Cycling heavy rounds through the gun to clean the gun up is a **** poor way of making a new gun shoot right. Looks like the manufacturer would take a little more pride in the marksmanship and take another 15 minutes and clean the gun up right and add that much more quality to the gun..I'm breaking the gun down now to look for sharp edges or burrs or any reason to make the brass drag. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.