New Groundhog shooter

Forester

Just finished this one and have been breaking the barrel in and getting brass ready for real load workup.

With a book load groups have been running in the .5s out to 400,,,should be a shooter once I put some effort into load development!

Specs:
Savage action (to be trued and timed next month)
Boyds Laminate stock
Shilen Select Match Barrel .204 Ruger
NSS recoil Lug
Warne Base
Burris XTR rings
Bushnell 3200T stolen from my muzzleloader, it sits too high but I will have a different scope for this rifle soon.
I bedded the action with Devcon and Pillar Bedded it with pillars from Richards Custom Rifles.

It should get it's first opportunity on some VA groundhogs this weekend.

P5070012.jpg

P5070011.jpg

Bedding Pillar Eschution

P5070006.jpg

Last edited:
Gorgeous Rifle man! But i dont know what the groundhogs are going to think looking down the wrong end. 204 FTW! gun)

Does your scope have a 1" tube? Are those Medium height rings? I gotta order some rings, trying to figure out which height.

Does your scope have a 1" tube? Are those Medium height rings? I gotta order some rings, trying to figure out which height.

It is a 1" tube on medium rings, 0MOA Warne base. As I said the scope sits too high because I stole it off of my muzzleloader so I can shoot and start some load development before I get a better suited scope on this rifle.

The rifle got it's first blood this weekend on a fat groundhog at 200 yards. Not much damage really but I was shooting 40gr Bergers which are somewhat known for not being as explosive as the V-Maxes.

thats almost exactly the same rig I am building. I have the same boyds stock only in tawny brown. I ordered a mcgowan barrel 26" in 223 stainless. I hope it works out as well as yours. I do have a couple of questions. The pillars i got seem to be a little loose to the stock and the screws. is this normal? I am going to glass bed it using a bedrock kit. i did it on my 7mm and it worked great.

what contact surfaces did you use? would u mind posting a pic of the bedding?

did you order the bvss triger guard from savage? Also how much difference will timing and trueing the action do?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.