New from Texas

Capt. D

Hello all<

My name is Dallas Furman. I am from Kingsville Texas. I am an industrial inspector by trade but only do that 6 months of the year. The other 6 I operate Horizon Outfitters, a small fishing guide service.

I stumbled onto this site while looking for a custom rifle. I have been interested in long range shooting for quite some time but have never persued it. I seem to be hung up on harvesting a deer at 800 yards for some reason.

From what I see here there is oodles and oodles of information here. From the research that I have done to this point I'm thinking 7mm, 168gr Berger VLD's, and a Night Force 5.5x22x50 NXS. Can any of you point me in the right direction for a custom rifle that is .25 MOA capable. Preferably in a hunting style rather than tactical.

Looking forward to your replies and futrure chats.

Dallas

Capt. D,

Welcome aboard.
There are several proven rifle smiths on this board. I have personal experience with only one, that is, a custom rifle and extreme cartridge.

I'll not list names as I would be uncomfortable even hinting towards a preference.

Most don't advertise here. The word just gets around. Pretty much "the proof is in the puddin'" kind of thing.

Keep lookin' you'll sort it out.

Capt. D:

I'm kinda like Roy. A little bashful and shy about recommending a good smith.:rolleyes:

But........if I was talking to a good friend and he wanted to know of the best **** long range gunsmith around......I'd recommend Kirby Allen of Allen Precision Shooting. I'd also tell him he goes by "Fiftydriver" on here, that is if he was interested.:rolleyes: I'd also tell my friend that Kirby built a full custom for me and one for my hunting buddy and my next one will be built by Kirby also, that is if my friend was interested.:rolleyes:

Then I'd tell him to see below and check it out.
YouTube - 7mm Allen Magnum, water jug and gun/bullet info

howdy captn.d small world i grew up in kingville lived there till 78 got to fish baffin before it became so well known for giant specks. you might call glen marten in sandia tx 547-6617 hes considered the best around these parts or get a hold of one of the smiths here on lrh

Last edited:
Captn,
I was just down in your country at the SniperHide shoot a while back, was very interesting opportunity to see lots of toys and some good shooting. Have hunted on the King and other ranches down there for Nilgai, turkeys and pigs several times. Hot and muggy come to mind. So do ticks, chiggers, scorpions, rattle snakes - stuff we do not worry much about up here in the frozen wasteland.

I helped George Gardner develop the NonTypical hunting rifle - they shoot amazing groups way out there and are light enough for carrying. Might want to check out GA Precision among the other fine builders that are about.

Good luck with your decision, building a new rifle is pretty easy with the advice and guys around here to help out.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts