New from South Georgia

FlatwoodsHunter

Excited I found you guys!

I'm a whitetail deer hunter and love it. I had a great season this year and I am pumped about the possibilities for next year. I've always had my stands set up so that shots were 100 yards or closer, its thick in South Ga. So I had two stands setup on a creek this past season and I've been successful in both stands. However about August of last year I went to check my stands and trim back any limbs of such that may have grown up over the summer. To my surprise the timber company came in and clear cut several hundred acres around both stands. It looked terrible, big piles of limbs stumps pushed up just terrible. But I noticed I could watch the edge of the creek I was on for about 400 yard in both directions allowing me to see about 800 yards total. The tree line is oaks and I also noticed another creek about 200 yards and I could watch that as well! I'm basically watching a hill between two creeks. My son and I both killed a deer this year over 300 yards, I was shooting my 308 win. and he was shooting a 30-06. Both deer only went about 50 yards!

I'm looking at getting a new rifle this year just for long range hunting out to 500 - 600 yards, maybe a 7mm mag or a 6.5 PRC.

Your thoughts, please.

Thanks again

Here's a view from one of my stands.

0F019590-40AC-45D3-B6AB-15B97BABCF3D.jpeg

Both of your current rifles are capable of those distances for deer. Just need to practice at that range. I'm not trying to talk you out of a new rifle. Just saying............

My 308 holds better than my 30-06 and I really enjoy shooting it, it's a ar10 with a 20" barrel and a trigger tech trigger. My 30-06 is a 80's model Remington ADL and I've killed a lot of deer with it over the years. She's got a new Burris Veracity scope last year and I just dropped a trigger tech in it too. Maybe your right in just need to shoot what I have, but a 6.5 PRC sounds nice.

Thanks for the comment

I use a 6.5 X 55 for deer, 264 Mag. for elk, and 6.5 X 284 for 1000 yard matches. Just about any 6.5 will work for deer, so go get you one or two. We have got to keep the wheels turning.
Ace

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts