New from Nevada - Need your advice

ArneNV

Hello shooters! I am from the Carson Valley in Northern Nevada. I am a handgun guy, and have rifle hunted for years, but want to work on long range rifle shooting and, since I live a state with some wide open areas, long range hunting as well. I have a specific question I have not seen addressed in any of the posts I have searched.

I have inherited a sporterized P17 Enfield that has been re-chambered in 300 H&H Magnum. I have to replace the barrel anyway - ruined muzzle crown and pits in the bore - so I want to change the caliber to something more modern. I really like the 7mm Rem. Mag., but have been told the bolt face was changed for the 300 H&H, so I have to go with something else. 7MM STW was suggested. I DO NOT load my own ammo, so factory ammo is my only option.

Given the above, what would you guys who know about this stuff suggest? I was thinking Pac Nor for a barrel, and would make it as long as necessary to get the best out of the chosen cartridge.

Very much looking forward to enjoying this forum. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Glad to see you found L/R/H.
tHERES A ''STICKY'' at the top of one of the threads(rifles bullets barrels and ballistics, I think). The ''sticky'' was origionaly posted by J E Customs, and it concerns bolt face diameters, and what bolt faces are ''innerchangable with what cartriges''. Excelent read and excelent info. Maybe that would help you out. Another thing would be to ask one of the very knowledgable smiths here if the bolt face itself can be changed to fit a certain cartrige you have in mind.
I lived in Carson for a couple months while starting the build on the Sportsmans Warehouse. I got called to do the one in Vegas instead, so I went there. Sportsmans went bankrupt shortly after that. Vrey sad. I loved building those stores!! And shopping there too. Oh well.
Theres a great public range out towards the dump on your way to Virginia City from Carson. Only goes to 300 yds unless you go 3/4 of the way up the hill then you can get to 400. But I never met a rude person the whole time I shot there. I went there every day for 2 months for 1 hr before work, so I met a bunch of great people. Gambeling in Nevada never concerned me. I was almost broke from buying ammo and supplies:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.