New from Mississippi

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Hferg, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Hferg

Hferg New Member

Good morning to all. I found this forum while looking up ideas on long range rifles. I realized I might not have the proper equipment for 1000 yards. I have since reduced my realistic goal to 500 yards since I am new to long range shooting. I like a lot of the ideas I have read on hear. I will be trying my hand with reloading. So thanks for all the ideas you all have so far.

2. DownRangeLapua

DownRangeLapua New Member

Hi there... What part of the state are you from? I'm near the coast and am looking for other long range shooters to find places and ideas from. Thanks. Phillip

3. Brewer

Brewer Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. I just started this a few years ago so I am new too. 500 yards is a long shot and there is a lot of math and practice you have to do before taking a shot like that when hunting. I tool a deer at 489 yards last year and I am hoping to get a 600 yard shot this year. move slow so you can be confident when taking shots. the rifle I used was a stock Winchester model 70 300 WInMag with a trigger set at about 2 pounds and a Bushnell 3200. I don't think with this rifle though, I can go much more than 600 yards. I am going to have to use the custom unit I am having made right now from Hart.