New elk gun for my wife

If it is an elk rifle why not the 325 wsm. You get a larger diameter bullet pushed by a mild shot of powder and good velocity. No I don't have one but it is on my to own list. They are hard to find but look like a great gun. It looks like the recoil should be similar to the 300 wsm with near 338 win mag performance.

I would strongly suggest having her try rifles on, I've sold quite a number of the rifles build around a woman's typical build and it's astonishing how much different they fit them, my wife and daughter shoot my rifles very well but their women specific rifles fit them so much better and the whole experience seems to be better for them.

Just got my daughter a Weatherby Camilla in 6.5 Creedmore and what an awesome little gun for a woman, a heavy 6.5 bullet does a lot better than a light 308 bullet on elk.
that is a nice rifle! I wish I knew about it when I got the Savage Lady hunter for my wife. This will surely be on the list of potential next rifle for my wife. Does it come with free-floated barrel and pillars? Is it bedded from factory (probably not I suspect). The Savage lady hunter is free floated and has pillars but no bedding...the weatherby looks much prettier than the Savage though.

If it is an elk rifle why not the 325 wsm. You get a larger diameter bullet pushed by a mild shot of powder and good velocity. No I don't have one but it is on my to own list. They are hard to find but look like a great gun. It looks like the recoil should be similar to the 300 wsm with near 338 win mag performance.
wouldn't touch the 325wsm unless you reload. That round is going the way of the Dodo. For that reason alone id rather go 300wsm...

that is a nice rifle! I wish I knew about it when I got the Savage Lady hunter for my wife. This will surely be on the list of potential next rifle for my wife. Does it come with free-floated barrel and pillars? Is it bedded from factory (probably not I suspect). The Savage lady hunter is free floated and has pillars but no bedding...the weatherby looks much prettier than the Savage though.
The Camilla has the front lug bedded, no pillars and a pressure point at the for end. The Lady Hunter is free floated, pillars that don't touch action or bottom metal and no bedding. I've seen both shoot and the Weatherby destroyed the Savage out of the box, I like both and after I put a little love on them they both do well. My daughter's first group at 130 yards was .406 with Hornady 120 ELDM, her second group was 4 rounds in about 4 inches at 550 yards, I will leave the pressure point in it but I will add pillars, free floating isn't always the answer for every barrel.

Last edited:
I love tikka's! Accurate and smooth! If just for elk get 7mm-08 but an all around gun get the 6.5CM. Sadly you won't find a tikka in CM unless you get the 1,100 dollar Tikka CTR

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts