New deer rifle

wvmountainhick

I'm looking to get a new deer setup. I've been toying with getting something for the 600-800 yards range. I posted this in another thread but have yet to get a bit and I need to be making my mind up soon. Anyway, been toying with the the idea of setting up a Remington sps tactical chambered in.308 or dropping my Ruger .280 into a new stock and just running out until the barrel burns out and then rebarreling it with a Douglas contour barrel of some sort. Just looking for some input. Thanks in advance.

Guess I'll hold this conversation with myself.

Me: well, with the bc of the 7mm bullets if probably go with the .280.

Self: I thought about that but have recently found it harder to find accessories for the ruger action. So I'm leaving towards the .308 since its on a 700 action.

Me: Have you looked for anything with a touch more horsepower should you ever decide to shoot farther out go after larger quarry?

Self: Yes but what should I be looking at in this case?

Me: Maybe a 300 win mag.

Self: Great idea man. I know where there's a model 70 for a great price and it will be easier to find more stuff for as well as net the versatility needs you might encounter. Not to mention that ammo is actually cheaper than the 280 and easier to find.

Me: Thanks for all the help self and also for having a talk with the nice gentleman at the gun so that I'd also into long range shooting. That was very insightful.:D

Hello, I'm also thinking about a 280. For years I shot a 300 weatherby in a Accumark and I love it. Just getting a little older I guess and recoil is becoming a issue. The 280 looks to be a great choice. It's pretty neat struggling over caliber choice. PaLuke

I think that one I get this .300 win mag finished I might check into just getting my 7mm rem mag glass bedded as I think it will most likely shot well enough to cover most anything long range that I'll encounter in this state. Actually, the 280 I'd enough but I think I was looking more for a reason to buy another gun. Not sure why but seems as though they are holding their value better than my retirement fund. Figures if things got too tough I'd sell the surplus and just keep the ones I need.

I would sure stay with the 7mm for deer, anything bigger is just "overkill". A 6.5 or 7mm will get you to 800 yards no problem.

7mm mag, 280(ackly or not), maybe even a 6.5 Creedmoor. That would be what I pick.

Remington has the most aftermarket parts, but Savage is not far behind. Howa/Weatherby is well supported to. Even Winchester has a lot. Sako doesn't need much. Soo many choices.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.