New custom rifle

camoman80

Allright guys. I am wanting to to build an Lite tact. rifle kinda of the same idea as the remington 700 ltr but i want my to a higher standerd. I am thinkinging 300 wsm on a savage 12 action. Any suggestions would be great
Camoman80

Camoma,

Have just finally decided on my long range rig but is not high end like yours is going to be it's just going to be a Rem 700 PSS in .300 RUM. I just thought it represented good value and would get the results I am after. Maybe something to consider.

Camoman
I just finished a 7mm SAUM on a Savage 11 action. It turned out pretty nice. However, there are a few things to note.

First, unless your action is already a shortmag action you will need to change the magazine box and the bolt head, the bolt head needed for a WSM is a control feed type instead of a push feed.

Second, Savage has two different sized threads on their recievers(switched a few years ago), only the larger size is recomended for the shortmag chamberings.(smaller size can be used but I was advised against it) You will need to know which you have when ordering a barrel and recoil lug.

Third, if you are even thinking about shooting heavy for caliber bullets you might want to consider a long action( although feeding can become an issue). Seating the longer bullets so they are close to the lands usually eliminates the use of the short action magazine box because the rounds won't fit.

If you find yourself in need of some parts let me know, I've got some laying around I can sell.

Hope this helps.
Chris

Thanks guys
on the 700 i like them alot jro and possibly might use one.
what type of part do you have winmag man as far as parts go?
thanks again guys.
camoman80

I've got a complete SA savage bolt with the control feed head on it(came from a 300WSM) and a WSM mag. box, follower, spring, factory recoil lug, and barrel nut. Just about everything except the reciver.
Had a little mishap with the first receiver(applied more muscle than brains) and had to pick up a second one.
Chris

Cool winmag man how much are you saleing it for, and how much did the new reciver cost you just for an idea.

Camoman
E mail me a list of what you need and we can work something out, address is in my profile. The entire action cost $320 to get it to my door. Got it from a member here that goes by the name Northlander.
Chris

Well guys after much reading i have decided to go with a remington 710 action i can buy the entire rifle for like $370 and then work from there.................ONLY JOKING P05's. No for real though I am going savage 12 in a 300 wsm any thoughts on barrels brands and countours and finishes would be great. Thanks again
Camoman

The CRF WSM guns use a blade style ejector. In order to use a CRF bolt in a push feed action you will need to machine an ejector slot in the floor of the action. Fred at http://www.savageshooters.com/sharpshooters/ can do it. Probably easier/cheaper to start with a WallyWorld 300WSM gun though, then you have a backup barrel which will shoot pretty darn well. I love my S/A Savage but it's not a lightweight action and I havn't been able to find a smith that machines them down like the 700s.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.