New Coyote Rifle

I have a Savage Model 16 Weather Warrior in 204 Ruger that is a tack driver. You might consider this model in the 223 or 22-250. It is light between 6.5 and 6.9 lbs depending on the specifics ordered. It has a stainless 22" hunting contour barrel and has accutrigger and accustock. I really like it as a carry rifle.

Again thanks for all the info, I already have different plans for a 25-06, a 6.5-284, and also a .243, all great calibers. I do indeed like the SPS in 25-06 and my mind has already been made about that one, I will be getting that soon enough. I really, for this rifle, am just looking for a rifle I can shoot heavier than 55gr bullets out of a .224 cal at coyotes, without luggin' 15 pounds around everywhere. Again thank you and I think I will be looking to get the Savage instead due to its higher level of out of the box accuracy.

Thanks,

Chav0_12

if it were me, I'd do a mod. 12 Savage in 6/250 and never ever look back. Just order in the rifle in 22-250, and then order in a 6/250 barrel with something like a 1:9 twist and about 22" long in a #5.5 contour. This should work well with 80 thru 90 grain bullets
gary

Am I missing something here? In the AR shooting the 60-90gr you need 1/7,1/7.5, or 1/8 twist to stabilize long heavies.

This leads me to think the 1/12, 1/14 twists would work better on the 30-45gr short light flat base for them PDs.

1/9 twist being a go between compromise working on 45-60gr medium weights for more versatile utility.

I have a boltgun with 223 chamber and AR with 5.56 chamber both of which are 1x9 twist. Both of them shoot from 50 v-max all the way to 75 hornady bthp without any problems. I haven't shot the 77's and I haven't tried the 75 A-max in the bolt yet, and won't try it for the AR since I don't want to single load. I'm thinking that to shoot the 80's, one would need a 1x8, and probably 1x7 for the 90, but I haven't any experience with either.

Thanks a lot everyone. I just bought the Savage in .223. I won't be able to shoot it until April though, since I'm still in Iraq. I sure hope it's a great shooter.

Thanks a lot everyone. I just bought the Savage in .223. I won't be able to shoot it until April though, since I'm still in Iraq. I sure hope it's a great shooter.

Most Savage rifles don't disappoint in the accuracy category. Godspeed to you and thank you for your service.

Colorado Springs

my grandson was out of Ft. Carson. Regular light infantry, and is about half way done on his tour in Afghanistan. Think his unit is the 1st/66th
gary

P.S. just a note to the rifle you bought. Been playing around with a 6x-24x BSA scope with the mildots and illuminated rectile. This may end up be my coyote scope, as I really like it. Suggest you order in the farrell base from Sharpshooter (they are the cheapest) @ $75, and get a set of Burris Signature rings that fit Weaver style bases. That base will really make a difference alone!

Last edited:
my grandson was out of Ft. Carson. Regular light infantry, and is about half way done on his tour in Afghanistan. Think his unit is the 1st/66th
gary

P.S. just a note to the rifle you bought. Been playing around with a 6x-24x BSA scope with the mildots and illuminated rectile. This may end up be my coyote scope, as I really like it. Suggest you order in the farrell base from Sharpshooter (they are the cheapest) @ $75, and get a set of Burris Signature rings that fit Weaver style bases. That base will really make a difference alone!

I have the BSA Sweet 17 for my 17 hmr, it's not a bad scope. I personally am a Nikon guy, I have a few of their scopes and the hunting I usually do they are quite adequate, and (pretty sure) Arizona doesn't allow battery powered optics for hunting. Because of that I stay away form illuminated reticles. I will look into the bases and rings though, but I like the Warne Maxima series of rings and bases. This rifle I am just putting a light 3x-9x 40mm (I want it to stay light). Thanks for the advice.

Chav0_12

I have the BSA Sweet 17 for my 17 hmr, it's not a bad scope. I personally am a Nikon guy, I have a few of their scopes and the hunting I usually do they are quite adequate, and (pretty sure) Arizona doesn't allow battery powered optics for hunting. Because of that I stay away form illuminated reticles. I will look into the bases and rings though, but I like the Warne Maxima series of rings and bases. This rifle I am just putting a light 3x-9x 40mm (I want it to stay light). Thanks for the advice.

Chav0_12

that's too bad about their law! You are aware that you can just leave the battery out of it, and then it works like a regular rifle scope?
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.