New Bullet Design

fariswm

In spring of last year I posted that I was going to attempt to create a new bullet design with higher performance. I have been reminded by one of the post readers that I need to give everyone a report.

The new design we completed in late summer last year, and we have been trying to figure out how to make it commercially available since then. The issue has been cost. Since I mostly shoot .284 the model has been a 7mm bullet. Our manufacturing cost on the bullet is about $1.50. This particular bullet weighed in at about 240 grains with a BC of about 1.

For those who make bullets it is no surprise to them. The cost of tungsten is now about $14.00 per pound.

We are not attempting to make just another tungsten bullet, but with special plasticized resins our efforts have been to make a heavy bullet in smaller diameters that also will expand and perform much like a lead bullet on impact. That has been our objective.

We have not given up the ship and will continue to work on the project.

I am afraid I use the term "we" loosely. This is really a one man project. I engaged the services of a ballistics expert to do the design of the bullet. I use internal company engineering to work on the other engineered aspects of the project. I continue to work with a Tungsten manufacturer for additional solutions.

Thanks for the interest to all who have written me about this project. It will continue.

thanks for the update, i've wondered about your project every now and then. a 240gr/7mm. how does the length compare to a 160 Accubond? just wondering what twist it would need?

The bullet length is 1.519 inches, but the bearing surface is only .454 including boat tail.

This is still a heavy bullet, so it would still require a relatively fast twist to stabilize.

When I get around to producing the first rounds, I am going to start with 1:10 twist and work down from there.

How does your design differ from the typical VLD or A-Max? I would like to see pictures of your bullets as well. Just curious as to how you are re-inventing the wheel with needed expansion.

Respectfully,
Tank

I have given out about as much info as I can at this time on the methodology behind the effort to create an expanding bullet in this configuration until we have successfully completed the task. There is still work to do.

When we get finished we will let you know how we are doing it.

I am also not in a position yet to provide pictures of the bullet. I think you will find it quite similar to the VLD design, but it does have some differences.

I will update when we make some additional headway in the program.

I wonder if anybody has thought about the perfect aerodynamic shape. The tear drop design is suppose to be the maximum in efficienct due to its shape. Just thought I would throw that in the bucket. Anyway, thanks for the update.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.