New Bullet Design

Make a normal bullet out of aluminum and the BC goes down, make it out of tungsten and it goes up.

I am curious how tungsten can make the B.C. go up. It would go up from aluminum, but not lead? I am no expert on the subject, but Lead has a density of 207.2 while Tungsten has a density of 184. If you are trying to get a heavier metal than lead, its going to be a tough endevor. After bismuth on the periodic table all your hair is going to fall out with radioactivity, or the metal will have a half life of micro seconds and be unstable.

I think that you are looking at bad data!

I stand by my original post:
Make a normal bullet out of aluminum and the BC goes down, make it out of tungsten and it goes up.

Aluminum has a density of 0.098 pounds per cubic inch;
Lead 0.397;
Tungsten 0.630

edge.

Aluminum has a density of 169 g/cm^3;
Lead 686;
Tungsten 1,088.

Last edited:
I think that you are looking at bad data!

I stand by my original post:

Aluminum has a density of 0.098 pounds per cubic inch;
Lead 0.397;
Tungsten 0.630

edge.

Aluminum has a density of 169 g/cm^3;
Lead 686;
Tungsten 1,088.

Edge is correcty in the fact that the Tungsten bullet will have greater momentum and resist slowing better than a lighter bullet with the same form factor...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.